General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help...

Having recently buying a 04 cbr I have grown to like it alot better than my old gsxr. Today I ran across another cbr with a price too good to be true.. And so here's the problem. It's a 2006 cbr 600rr. From what I was told the bike was built from ground up, only problem is the mainframe is a eBay special so that means race/stunt only... I have seen some frames that come with "paperwork" being sold on ebay but im not really sure if that means i could obtain a rebuild title. but having never built a bike ground up I'm somewhat lost as to what to expect in the whole rebuild thing.. So simple question is, has anyone had any experience with something like this and if so how much red tape am I looking at? Also the bike is going to cost me $2000 and apparently a frame with "paperwork" will run me $500-1000.. I'm greatly considering this bc all the other parts on the bike are outstanding and in great shape. So what should I do guys? Go for it? Or is it even worth the money, time and trouble.

Thanks. Love the forum btw!

Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 AM

If the frame has a clear title, you shouldn't have any issues. You should be able to buy the frame, put your new stuff on it, and the title the frame comes with is now the title for the bike. Just make sure you check first to make sure the title is clear before you put a lot of work into it.

I'd suggest staying away from any frame that has a salvage title with it. I would clarify what "paperwork" is, and make sure its a clear titled frame.

As for if its worth it or not. It all depends. A clear titled frame will probably cost you 1000-1500, the ones for 500 are more than likely salvage titled frames. If you like tinkering, go for it. But, you probably wont save that much money. More often than not, bikes like the one your mentioning are far worse than they appear once you tear into them.

If it were me, I wouldnt waste my time converting the bike. I'd buy it, throw on some race fairings and start doing track days. Having 2 street bikes is not as cool as it sounds. You will have a favorite, so the other one sits in the garage most of the time.

Last edited by justasquid; 07-03-2010 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks, yea after alot of thought I have decided not to sink money into a project like that right now. I went back to look at the bike again today and looked it over with a fine tooth comb and found a couple of things wrong that I hadn't noticed the other day. When I got home I looked up what parts I would need to fix the problems and it added up quick. Not to meantion the fact that it needs new rubbers but it would need a new gauge cluster bc the one on it has a crack in it, and it would need a few more little things. On top on buying a main frame and rebuilding it for street use I would truely have more in it than if I bought a good used bike that year. I offerd $1200 for it as it sits but he wouldn't take it. It would however make a great track/stunt bike without a doubt. Putting 2 into it then putting another 2 or 3 into it just to get it on the road again (not to meantion the work) is not logical when I can buy one that is clear from the get go.