General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help, on the road now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, on the road now!

Hi guys,

My 05 cbr 600rr has Dunlop tires that must have been underinflated due to a crappy gauge at home.

In using a really nice digital one now and it seems I've been riding at like 15-20 psi!

The problem is, I'm 60 miles from home and with the tires properly set now at 34 and 36, there is a noticeable flat spot in the center of the tires. I can feel a lip on both sides of the flat spot on both tires and when I turn the lip is very apparent. (It feels like there is a hitch on the tires)

Am I at risk of anything driving home right now? Would I be better going down to like 25 for this ride so the lip isn't so dramatic? It feels a bit unstable.

On the road with the wife, don't wanna die.

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited by CCollins799; 05-16-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned on the road with the wife. You have a few minutes to run some circles and rub the corners off? I would imagine it's like a serious case of chicken strips. if so, I would try to take a few moments to do some burn in and see if I can't round them a bit. Other then that you should be OK on the way home as long as you acknowledge and are prepared for the transition. just adjust your speed and such accordingly.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks gt, we got home ok in torrential downpours!

What a difference with air in the tires! I only went to 26/28 psi because with more air the "edge" made the bike feel unstable. The bike was literally an inch+ taller. I wasnt quite tip-toed but the bike is now much higher off the ground.

Before the rain started I did a couple laps and leaning in to turns there was a dramatic difference in handling. It actually handles better with air, even though the tires are definitely worn flat in the middle with clear edges moving towards the sidewall. Im going to put another 200 miles on them and gradually increase psi to see if they wear themselves evenly. If not, new tire time.