General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With HID Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With HID Install

I just bought a HID kit off ebay and I can't figure out how to run the postive and negative wires off the HID bulb into the factory wire harness. The problem is that there is a rubber like washer around these wires on the HID bulb. Soyou would have to bend them back around and over the rubber washerto plug into the bike wire harness. If you do that then I would lose my seal around all the wires then take a chance of leaking water one day into the bulb. Would it be ok if I cut a small hole to pull the wires back out of the rubber washer and use a little silcone on it to seal the holes water tight. I have some thats clear. This is my first time doing anything like this so just looking for some help. Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13191/499BB953FB4042A3A111576357A1C0FE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Need Help With HID Install

Sorry I don't know why the picture did not show up on the page.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 AM

Ive never done an HID install but soon will be doing so. I am curious about your qestion though. Are you trying to hook up the hid bulb to the stock wiring harness? or are you trying to hook up the ballist and or igniter up to your stock wiring harness?

Im assuming your kit has the ballist and the igniter correct? I thought the bulb plugged into the igniter.?

I know, my spelling is off.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 AM

You have to hook up theHID postive and negative wires into the factory bike wire harness. My problem is just getting them to hook in while still having a water tight seal. I just dont understand why they did the wires like that knowing you have to bend them back around to plug into the wire harness.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM

If anyone is wanting to know what kit I got, its item number 360090312607 on ebay.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An HID bulb is only a part of an HID system. The bulbs plug into a ballast. The ballast is what plugs into the factory harness. If you only got bulbs, then you didn't get a kit, you just got replacement bulbs. You NEED to have ballasts.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:22 PM

I have the ballast for both bulbs. And for my kit, the bulb wires into the factory wire harness and everything else plugs into each other.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM

what i did was cut and pulled out the positive and the negative wires that connects to my factory lights. All you need is the two wires that are from your HID lights coming out of that rubber washer.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:21 PM

nope the ballasts are supposed to run to the factory wiring harness, not the bulbs. maybe u got bad directions. 12-14 volts isn't enough to run hid bulbs, the bulbs need incredibly high voltage to ignite, which is why you need the ballasts... and the ballasts need to be switched on when the headlights are supposed to be on, which is why they plug into the factory harness. if you were to plug the factory harness to the bulbs, they would only see 12-14 volts and they would not work. thats why the wiring harness has traditional insulation and the wires off the hid bulb have silicone or rubber insulation, because the extremely high voltage that those wires are meant to conduct (from the ballasts) is so much that it would arc together through traditional insulation.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: waynecbr600rr

I have the ballast for both bulbs. And for my kit, the bulb wires into the factory wire harness and everything else plugs into each other.
NO. The positive and negative wiring from the ballasts get plugged into the positive and negative on your original headlamp harness. The bulb then connects to the ballast (because the ballast converts the power to the correct amount to power the HID bulbs). The bulbs plug into the ballast, the ballast plugs into the headlamp harness. That's the only way to connect it, there's no way to plug them straight into the headlamp harness unless you want to destroy your bulbs.

Quick Reply: Need Help With HID Install