General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help guys !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help guys !!

alright, my friend came over to just bs around for a few hours while waiting to go back to the armory yesterday .. well my bike was in front of my 4wheeler so i brought it out and left it out and got my 4wheeler out , we rode around for a while and shot a few rounds down range from my .45 and then i come back to air up my tire and next thing i know my brother tells me my friend is messing with my bike. I go over and see him holding her up and then i put 2 and 2 together and yelled " did you lay her down!?!?!" and he just kinda looked at me and said yea , im sorry well i wouldnt have been as mad but she wont start now and he dropped her on the stater side so im thinking that could be a problem bc it was in the yard where he did it and you can see where it slid on the ground about 4 or so feet. any suggestions on what to do ????

besides the obvious of killing him

Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 PM

Need a little more information, however, if it isn't even turning over then it probably has oil in the cylinders and is "hyrolocked" so you'll need to wait quite a while before starting it, and maybe remove the plugs to get it out if it was laid over long enough.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:00 PM

well, it will turn over but then it starts making a clicking/studder sound .... its weird , i thought it was just something to do with the battery for whatever reason so i tried jumping it off but that still didnt work so i guess it couldnt be the battery? and i dont believe he had the bike on the ground for very long but i didnt see it.

what other info will help ?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Does it have a tip switch?

Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
Does it have a tip switch?
i dont believe so , but idk for sure

also , tried to crank her earlier and nothing it will come on like normal when you turn the key but then when i go to press the start button it will just go nuts and make a clicking sound and the RPM needle goes nuts (like its resetting) and the lights all blink

Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel pump primes then its hydrolocked. Pull the spark plugs out, cover the holes with rags, then hit the starter button. That will blow the oil outta the combustion chamber. The rags help keep the oil off the bike, it can get messy. If it don't prime, you BAS (bank Angle Sensor) needs to be reset, you can bypass it by hooking up a "jumper" wire to the two outter wires on the harness.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by militaryat17

besides the obvious of killing him
I think that is the only option. I think I would have cried.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:21 AM

what model and year is the bike? It will help lead to a diagnosis.

From the sounds of it, either your battery is dead, or the fall shook a wire loose somewhere. Maybe on the battery itself, or a ground wire somewhere.

Do you have access to a volt meter? Measure the volts at the battery. It should be in the high 12's t low 13's. While holding the volt meter on the battery terminals, crank the bike over and see if they drop considerably. If they do, your battery is toasted.

Its entirely possible the fall shook loose a cell internally in the battery.

Oh, if you jumpstart it, you need to use a low amperage battery charger. Jumping from an auto can destroy your bikes charging system.

Having said all of that, since the engine does turn over for second, and as long as you have a nice paved road, and you don't have any means of testing the battery. Make your dip**** friend push you till you reach about 5 mph with the clutch pulled in, then with the bike in second gear, release the clutch. The bike should fire up.

Another suggestion would be to take the battery and have it load tested. It may show proper voltage, but not have enough juice to crank the bike over. Usually a shorted out battery.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
If the fuel pump primes then its hydrolocked. Pull the spark plugs out, cover the holes with rags, then hit the starter button. That will blow the oil outta the combustion chamber. The rags help keep the oil off the bike, it can get messy. If it don't prime, you BAS (bank Angle Sensor) needs to be reset, you can bypass it by hooking up a "jumper" wire to the two outter wires on the harness.
mmk i will try this as soon as i can and see what happens.

Originally Posted by justasquid
what model and year is the bike? It will help lead to a diagnosis.

From the sounds of it, either your battery is dead, or the fall shook a wire loose somewhere. Maybe on the battery itself, or a ground wire somewhere.

Do you have access to a volt meter? Measure the volts at the battery. It should be in the high 12's t low 13's. While holding the volt meter on the battery terminals, crank the bike over and see if they drop considerably. If they do, your battery is toasted.

Its entirely possible the fall shook loose a cell internally in the battery.

Oh, if you jumpstart it, you need to use a low amperage battery charger. Jumping from an auto can destroy your bikes charging system.

Having said all of that, since the engine does turn over for second, and as long as you have a nice paved road, and you don't have any means of testing the battery. Make your dip**** friend push you till you reach about 5 mph with the clutch pulled in, then with the bike in second gear, release the clutch. The bike should fire up.

Another suggestion would be to take the battery and have it load tested. It may show proper voltage, but not have enough juice to crank the bike over. Usually a shorted out battery.
its a 2008 honda cbr 1000rr and where is the best place to get a low amperage battery charger ? online or auto store ? walmart even lol

Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 AM

Your bike does indeed have a bank angle sensor, or as someone reffered to as a tip switch. Im not sure wether or not it will need to be reset. You could probably just unplug the battery for a minute and that should reset it. But, the BAS has nothing to with the bike not cranking over. It would still crank over, just not start.

But, since your bike is an 08, I would assume its the battery. Its been an on going issue with that model for some time. Not everyone has issues, but there are enough of them to suspect the battery even more.

You can pick up a low amp battery charger just about anywhere. For charging the battery, you really don't want to exceed 2 amps. So pick up a variable rate one that has a low setting of 2 amps or less and you'll be all set.

But, I doubt you can save your battery. Give a call to your dealership and see what they say about it. They know about the issue and maybe can shed some light on it for you.

Also, try posting your issue in the 1000RR section of this forum, Im sure others have experienced the same issue and can probably point in a better direction.

Quick Reply: Need help guys !!