General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help!! Dead Bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!! Dead Bike!!

got an f2 and have been driving it for about a week or two...then out of no where it died on me at the red light after25 minutes of riding..at first i thought i stalled out but it wouldnt start back up...it sounded like it at first and then lost juiceand made that clicking noise...didnt know what to do so my friend came to give me a jump.. when the cables where plugged up he turned the car on and im pretty sure that ur not supposed to do that, because after that the lights or anything wouldnt turn on..so now its completely dead so i charged the battery for about 3or 4 hours and it said 100% so i plugged it back and still nuthing..what should i do now??? any insight or help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 05-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Check the main fuse from the battery first. It's under the seat, (I think on yours) 30A.
Make sure the battery terminals are clean and that the battery its self is giving at least 12V with nothing connected.
Even with a shagged battery you should be able to jump start it. THere's nothing wrong with doing that. Don't worry.
If everything is now dead after you did that though you've got a wiring/fuse problem. You'll need to get your patient hat on and trace the various feed paths.
Check that the earth from the battery to the frame is also clean, and tight.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:29 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

What you did to your bike is not good for it... at all

It may be the fuel pump..

Idk I'd just sell it asap and save for a more modern, fuel injected bike..

the F2 / F3 really isnt that good of a bike... too many problems you will encounter every single week and the amount of $$$$$ just is not worth it..... sry

Old 05-08-2011, 03:34 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

damn i kinda feel like im being mean but im not...

seriously those bikes cause way too many problems to justify the amount of money you need to throw into it

Old 05-08-2011, 03:36 PM

you maybe right.. the bike only has 13k and i was planning on keeping it even when i do get a newer one...

Old 05-08-2011, 03:50 PM

Don't listen to that noise. The F2 is a great bike as long it has been maintained properly. And in all honesty, they don't require much more attention than a newer fuel injected bike. 10 years from now, all of the current fuel injected bikes that have been neglected will be in the same situation, only you won't be able to fix them as easy. Those bikes shouldn't have problems everyweek. If you band aid the issues, then you will. If you get the bike where it should be and fix things properly, you will have many miles of trouble free riding. All bikes, no matter what year tend to have certain common issues. the F2 would be the rectifier. and of course since its carbed, keeping the carbs clean. But thats about it.

As for the original problem. It sounds like you may have just run out of gas. did you switch the tank to reserve? If you have gas and it died, it could be a rectifier issue, but since it cranked and wanted to start, I would lean towards something else. The clicking is just the battery dead. It does sound like you blew the main fuse though during the jump start. And yes, using a running car can be very bad on the system. It doesn't mean you did any damage, but it certainly could have.

check those things and report back.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Why could it? What's the difference between the bike charging it's own battery and a car charging it for a few minutes. I've never understood this thoery and have never had anyone explain it logically.
Please don't scare monger.
Jumping a battery, as long as it's the same voltage system, is not going to do any harm. How the hell can it?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 PM

got some kind of good news..went to pepboys and had the battery checked and its "super dead"is what the guy said...and they didnt sell them..so ill prolly hit up cycle world tomorrow or something

Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by btown2389
got some kind of good news..went to pepboys and had the battery checked and its "super dead"is what the guy said...and they didnt sell them..so ill prolly hit up cycle world tomorrow or something
and im pretty surei didnt run out of gas becasue i just filled it up the day before...hopefully i get a new battery in there and it starts right back up

Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM

[quote=btown2389;1050946]and im pretty surei didnt run out of gas becasue i just filled it up the day before...hopefully i get a new battery in there and it starts right back ..
i might jus get onefrom walmart to see if itll start up

Last edited by btown2389; 05-08-2011 at 04:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help!! Dead Bike!!