General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help cbr has been sitting a while

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking need help cbr has been sitting a while

i just aquired a 2001 CBR 929RR. It only has 12500 miles on it... the only problem is it has been sitting for at least 4 years... anyways i was wondering what the best steps are to get it back into good running condition. i have already siphoned the gas out put new gas in it and added octain boost and a lucus oil "tune up in a bottle". oh yea and a new battery thanks for any input

Old 09-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ynotnorcal
i just aquired a 2001 CBR 929RR. It only has 12500 miles on it... the only problem is it has been sitting for at least 4 years... anyways i was wondering what the best steps are to get it back into good running condition. i have already siphoned the gas out put new gas in it and added octain boost and a lucus oil "tune up in a bottle". oh yea and a new battery thanks for any input
Does the bike run? Spark plugs should be changed. You can get plugs from Advance Auto Parts much cheaper than bike shops. Change the oil and filter. Flush coolant, flush brake fluid, check air filter and air box for anything that should not be there. Check brake pads and change tires if they are more than a few years old. Tires can get flat spots from sitting and dry out over time making them dangerous. You can look for the date codes on your tires to see when they were made.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Default sweet!/new info

when i first got the bike i siphoned the gas out of it and put some premium in it then tried to start it and it ran for a little wile then the next time i tried to start the bike it wouldn't start because the battery was crap. new battery then it wouldn't idle right so i siphoned the gas out again and put the octane boost in it and the injector/ tune up in a bottle thinking it was bad gas but the new battery was to weak from trying to start it so many times and now i have it on a slow charge hoping that when it is done charging everything is all good but good advise... i was debating the tires since they have good tread. but if they are dangerous because of dryness and flat spots then i will look into new ones...but i was looking into tune up advise and you had some good ones... hopefully the fuel filter isn't clogged...but on the tire note got any advise on tire brand?

Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 AM

when i first got the bike i siphoned the gas out of it and put some premium in it then tried to start it and it ran for a little wile then the next time i tried to start the bike it wouldn't start because the battery was crap. new battery then it wouldn't idle right so i siphoned the gas out again and put the octane boost in it and the injector/ tune up in a bottle thinking it was bad gas but the new battery was to weak from trying to start it so many times and now i have it on a slow charge hoping that when it is done charging everything is all good but good advise... i was debating the tires since they have good tread. but if they are dangerous because of dryness and flat spots then i will look into new ones...but i was looking into tune up advise and you had some good ones... hopefully the fuel filter isn't clogged...but on the tire note got any advise on tire brand?
Drain the gas tank and take it off the bike since the 929 does not have the hinged tank like a 954. You have to remove it to check the air filter unless you have a friend to hold the tank while you remove the air filter. The service manual gives directions for changing the spark plugs by lowering the radiator and coming from the front. Don't try that way. Remove the tank and air filter, remove snorkels in airbox, disconnected 2 plugs and 2 hoses then lift the airbox to gain access to the spark plugs. I would not disconnect the flapper if you still have one in your airbox. Just lay the airbox off to the left side of the bike. The plugs are much easier to change coming from the top. This is also a good time to clean the butterflies in your throttle bodies. Mine looked terrible from the oil film where the crankcase vents into the airbox. While you have the tank off your bike you can remove the fuel pump assembly and check the filter for junk. Is there any rust visable in your tank? If you can see rust this is a good time to try and remove as much of it as possible.

The idle screw is on the left side of your bike near the servo motor. Its a black **** about the size of a dime that lets you adjust the idle.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Default more questions

there is visible rust in the tank whats the best way to try and remove it? just a wire brush and flush it with some of the gas i removed from it? can i clean the fuel filter or should i replace it? thanks for the help I'm new to working on motorcycles but I've been working on cars for a long time. i cant wait to ride the bike so I've been trying to do minimal work to it so i can actually ride it before winter comes. i should have known from previous work on vehicles that the short way out usually doesn't work out in the long run

Last edited by ynotnorcal; 10-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM

You'll be better off just getting a fresh tank than trying to clean that one.

I would bet the carbs need cleaning - willing to bet that at absolute best some of the low speed jets are clogged.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
You'll be better off just getting a fresh tank than trying to clean that one.

I would bet the carbs need cleaning - willing to bet that at absolute best some of the low speed jets are clogged.
929's are fuel injected so no jets to get clogged.

Did you get your spark plugs changed yet? Will the bike run at all right now?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:36 AM

the honda shop was closed today so im going to go tomorrow... the oil leak is coming from the crank case cover so im going to get a new gasket as well while im there... is there anything i need to look for or do while i have the crank case cover off? oh yea what about the fuel filter should i change it or just clean it?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Default Wtf?

so i went to drain the oil and gas came out! i have no idea wtf? never came across this working on cars. any ideas would help!

Old 10-06-2010, 08:22 AM

the honda shop was closed today so im going to go tomorrow... the oil leak is coming from the crank case cover so im going to get a new gasket as well while im there... is there anything i need to look for or do while i have the crank case cover off? oh yea what about the fuel filter should i change it or just clean it?
When you remove the crank case cover check to make sure it is not warped. If someone tightened the bolts to tight they may have warped the cover and that would cause it to leak. A new gasket will not fix a leak from a warped cover. Some people dont use torque wrenches and tightened bolts much tighter than required.

so i went to drain the oil and gas came out! i have no idea wtf? never came across this working on cars. any ideas would help!
Sounds like your Fuel Pressure Regulator is bad.

Quick Reply: need help cbr has been sitting a while