General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Asap, thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Asap, thanks!

I currently am riding a honda cbr 600 f4 1999 and I was riding it home monday and all of the sudden the engine just started chugging and when I notice after giving it a little bit of throttle the engine just died and wouldn't start back up or idle. At first I thought it was just a bad fuel filter getting clogged due to letting gas get too low but then the other night while messing with it the throttle is no snapping back like the spring or something is broken. If I have left vital info please let me know and I'll get back to you asap. Thanks guys

Old 09-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From your description, it sounds like a fuel feed issue.

Get started on trouble-shooting procedures from the factory service manual til others can chime in & help you work thru the situation.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Make sure there is gas in it. Try putting the petcock to reserve.

Does you battery seem dead or low? Could also be a charging issue...

Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Yep, we really need more diagnostic info. Dif to do via interwebs. ;-)

Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Dont bother trying to switch to your reserve, we arent so lucky. BUT, trace the fuel from the tank checking everything as you go. Check the routing of your throttle cables, they can be extremely touchy when it comes to this so mess around with that and lube them up while your at it.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered Users

Guys I believe it was just a clogged fuel filter from letting the tank get too low and sucking the **** right into the filter. I'm gonna switch it tomorrow and see what happens as well as get new grips, the dirt ball before me had adhesive on the outside with no spacer between the kill switch dash.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered Users

So turns out it wasn't the fuel filter and it still won't start up or idle. Curious as to if anyone has every had this issue. We are beginning to think it's either a fuel pump issue or electrical leading up to the fuel pump. Any opinions help.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ColinAnderson
I currently am riding a honda cbr 600 f4 1999 and I was riding it home monday and all of the sudden the engine just started chugging and when I notice after giving it a little bit of throttle the engine just died and wouldn't start back up or idle. At first I thought it was just a bad fuel filter getting clogged due to letting gas get too low but then the other night while messing with it the throttle is no snapping back like the spring or something is broken. If I have left vital info please let me know and I'll get back to you asap. Thanks guys

Have you checked the actual thottle cable??

Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 AM

ok, here we go. from what i have gathered, you might be on the right track about the fuel pump, if ur sure fuel is getting to the pump.

if so, go through and check connections in the starter solenoid switch and 30amp main fuse, clean and tighten them up. then do the same with the fuse box. check fuses twice.

then check, clean and tighten connections at all the spark plugs, ign. coils, and the connection of spark plug harness at the main harness . after that check, clean, tighten connections on all the relays in the tail section near the rectifier, two are related to fuel pump. its the fuel pump transfer relay and the fuel cut off relay. ya see, they are all connected in one way or another, fuel pump, fuel pump relays and spark plugs that is. so, if one place is bad in the wiring it effects the others, and vis- versa, (or however the hell ya say it). start there, ive been through this type problem too many times in the past year. it happened a week or so ago again. usually just a bad connection. its a good place to start from what you described.

when dealing with elec. probs on mine i like to turn the bike on while im in there messing with wiring. cause if there is a shorted wire or bad connection, when you jiggle it around, it will make the bikes power go on or off and it helps get me closer to the shorted wire. if its in the related area as i described above. if that makes sense. do it only like a few mins at a time so it doesnt kill the batt. get back at me after that. we'll get this

o, PS, use some contact cleaner and die electric grease on the connections, you might use a dental pick type tool to tighten up and scrape-up the female ends.

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 AM

I had this issue two weeks ago on my way to work. Checked fuel and everything was working then I lifted the black plastic thing in the carb (can't think of the name) an fuel was pouring into the carbs with the bike off. For me it turned out to be the float was stuck and super flooded the motor. Good luck

Quick Reply: Need Help Asap, thanks!