General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with 2001 929rr

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with 2001 929rr

my friend posted this in his r1 forum:

okay im trying to help my friend fix his bike. i do not have any manuals and limited on tools. i will try to explain the best i can symptoms. its a 2001 honda 929rr. when the igniton switch is turned on, only the clock and speedo comes on. the light do not lite up and the fuel pump doesnt prime the engine. (cluster lights and headlights usually all turn on at this point) i first thought it was a faulty ignition switch so i bypassed the ignition switch and basically "hotwired" the bike. same problem. no lights and no fuelpump but speedo and clock turn on. so i canceld out the ignition switch. so now with the key in "ON" position with no lights and only clock and speedo on, i ran the fuelpump directly to the battery and heard it whine. so i know the fuel pump is working. so i try to start the bike with the fuel pump wired to battery. cranks but does not start. (i forgot to say that the bike always turned over when starter was commaded to) so now im thinking fuel pump relay or igntion relay (if there a ignition relay) so i start removing the gas tank and in doing so i noticed when the gas tank was grounded, there was alot of sparks and then all the bikes lights turned on and fuel pump started to whine as if everything was working again. WTF?!?! so i put the gas tank back down and make sure its not grounded or touching anything and it goes back to "dead" mode. now i take a piece of wire and touch one end to ground and one end to the fuel pump housing. same thing! the bikes lights and fuel pump turn on and the bike seems to be fixed. i tried to start the bike and VIOLA!! its starts right up no problem. as soon at the wire is removed it goes back to its "dead" self. i also noticed that i can hear 2 relays clicking when you ground the gas tank. one is fuel pump relay. we unplugged the relay and jumped the wires to bypass. no effect to the problem. the other relay that was clicking we couldnt locate but we think it was near the brake side clipon area.

now im thinkinh the gas tank is supposed to be grounded cause how else would the fuel pump get its ground? i noticed the way the gastank is mounted, it is never supposed to touch the frame and neither is the bolts that mount it. so basically it looks like the tank is not supposed to be grounded. i asked 2 mechanic friends and one said the tank IS supposed to be grounded and the other said it IS NOT supposed to be grounded. i think theres a short somewhere but not sure in which circut. can anyone help out. this is giving me gray hairs and im only 23. i just want my friend to enjoy the rest of the very few sunny days that are left here with us in the mountains. any ideas? or even a wire schematic of a 2001 929rr? thanks. if you give me advice i would go try it out as soon as i get som free time

thx in advanced!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Default RE: need help with 2001 929rr

I think you obviously have a grounding problem. Check the ground where you saw the sparking and tighten that bolt down to get a firm ground. Thats all I can suggest, good luck though.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:57 PM

is the gas tank supposed to be grounded? if it is, how is it supposed to be grounded? through the moutning bolts? or is there a wire that grounds the tank t the frame? i noticed that the tank and mounting bolts are all insulated by rubber grommets or something. thanks in advanced

Old 11-03-2005, 08:11 AM

awww hell just ride it without the gas tank...... who needs gas anyways..... it sounds to me like when the tank is on it is pinching a wire to pushing one into something else.... i would check that and see if that gets you anywhere....

Old 11-12-2005, 10:34 PM

TTT..............

Old 11-13-2005, 05:17 PM

this might not even be in the right ball park, but did you check the fuses. i have had a few problems similar, one actually with my 1000rr. turns out all i had to do was find the short and replace the fuse. if you link anything directly to the battery, you are bypassing all of those fuses, so if its blown, it wont work durring regular operation. i doubt this will be any help, but with the way repairs have been for me lately, a flat tire might cause my battery to die. so i figured id give it a try.

Old 11-13-2005, 07:27 PM
Retired Administrator

you can download the shop manual from http://www.stephygee.com/ click on the name of your bike at the bottom.

Old 11-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Probably not, but have you cosidered a HISS problem, i had a fault on my last bike that was intermitent similar to what you describe and it was a faulty HISS unit. I`m presuming the 2001 929 has HISS? ?

Old 11-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Retired Administrator

Honda Ignition Security System (HISS). AHHHHHHHHHHHH... you're freaking kidding me. Our bikes have coded keys? The nightmare I went though with coded keys on my explorer !@#$^%!$#@^!$#^. Please tell me this was a thing of the past and it is no longer used on the 05 CBR600RRs.

Old 11-13-2005, 09:46 PM

I dont think that would be the problem bcuz i have an 2000 929 and i can literally start it with a screwdriver, it has got to be something besides HISS, all i know is 01 and 00 are the same exact bike

Quick Reply: need help with 2001 929rr