General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my story.. no start/fuel/spark.. the answer to my 04 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my story.. no start/fuel/spark.. the answer to my 04 F4i

after 4 weeks, maybe 5... my bike is running again.

it all started one night on my way home from work, on the freeway in the #2... my headlights went out... oh ****. got of the freeway ASAP.. and checked my fuses. they were good. didn't know what else to do, so hopped on and drove home blind. (it start) once i got home, that was the last time it ran.

after finding where the feed to the low beam comes from, i traced it to a blue and white wire, from the starter button switch. honda grounds out the headlights when cranking to alow for as much amps possible.

after repairing the connection, and physically testing the swtich, it was good.. put the bike back together, and now i didn't have fuel/spark.. should of checked before i put the ****er back together.

anyways, sometimes the bike would start, sometimes it didn't.. so i started looking at every plug... testing sensors, and switches... 4 weeks worth of labor, and i was really in a bind.

after looking around on the boards, i found out other people having similar problems because of a diode inside the ignition switch.

even testing the diode, i couldn't get current flow either way. so i took the next best route. i went to radio shack, and got a 5V resistor, and a 12V resistor. tried both, and both ways... nothing.

im guessings since they'res 30 thousand different diodes on the market, so chances are the radio shack one just wasn't the right one.

after replacing the ignition switch.. the bike ran.

no dramatic ending. if you don't have fuel/spark... keep in mind there's a diode inside the ignition switch that could be bad EVEN IF THE SWITCH TESTS OUT GOOD!!!!

Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: my story.. no start/fuel/spark.. the answer to my 04 F4i

Interesting... didn't know about that! Thanks for the info, and glad to hear you got your bike running again!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 AM

i do it as a public service.. haha, but really, i just want everyone to know, its a semi common problem, if all your sensors, and switchs are good.. and can't understand why the bike wont run, there is a diode inside the ignition switch that could be giving problems.

between CBRforums, and CBRworld.net, i know of about 5 people that have had this happen to them.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 PM

the same thing happend to me same bike and all 04 blk/yel

Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM

Hello I'm having the exact same problem with my bike.

Yes, I realize this is 4 and a half years later but I havent found any other thread that is this specific to my problem.

I was on the freeway, headlight went out, rode home and found out that my ground in the starter had broken off. Once I soldered it back on, my bike wouldn't start.

Fuses are fine, theres gas in the tank, no the killswitch isnt on I'm not a retard, battery is dead now BUT I tried my friends battery and it still wouldnt work.

I got to the diode, and what was interesting to me was that there was a current going both ways. I thought that was weird so I unsoldered the diode and tested the connection & it worked the way it was supposed to, with current flowing only one way.

One thing that isnt shown in the last 3 pics is the other side of the ignition switch. Inside is a white thing that can be turned (I'm assuming that the key turns this thing). I turned the white thing to a few other positions and checked the current in the diode, and theres current flowing only one way. I'm not sure if thats the problem but I dont think so, just want to see if someone knows that thats the way it's supposed to be.

Any other thoughts on what the problem might be?