General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My headlight problem help needed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlight problem help needed!!!!!

HI, so my headlight is kinda weird.
i have 2005 cbr 600 f4i and the right headlight does not turn on when it is on regular light but it does when high beam is on. Is this just a light bulb problem?

Thanks, Pirlo21

Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 PM

The f4i has one low beam, and one high beam. They are both single filament bulbs. With the low beam on, you will only have one headlight lit. When you turn on your high beam, your low beam stays on, and your high beam light will turn on. So, low beam, only one headlight lit, high beam, both lit.

Might as well get used to every 3rd peson telling you that you have a burned out headlight.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Oh okay cool thanks!
Now i dont have to worry about it lol.

Do you know what kind of headlight bulb i have to get if i wanna get hid bulb?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:24 AM

Your bike should have H-7 bulbs in it.

As for the hid's, I wouldn't do that unless you install the projector type hids. If you install the HID bulb in a reflector that wasn't designed for it, you will end up with a brighter light, but you will also end up with light being thrown all over the place. it will be very hard on other drivers coming at you. Thats not to say people dont do it, because many people do install them, but they blind oncoming traffic and tend get you hassled by the police.

If you install bi-xenon projectors, you will have two high beams and two low beams. The projectors have a cut-off so they do not blind oncoming traffic. This will also allow you to have two low beams and two high beams. They have many bi-xenon kits now that are decent. The only thing is a small amount of modification on your part and you will have a great set of headlights.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 AM

Oh okay wow you answered like all of the questions i had thanks hahah.
but is it hard to put the bi-xenon on and are those projectors expensive???
where can i buy them???

Old 01-08-2012, 11:15 AM

There are a few write ups in the "How To" section on this forum about how to install the projectors with great pictures and step by step instructions. I've done a few of them for my friends now and its quite easy. Basically, you place your headlight in the oven set at 250 degrees for about 3 minutes. This softens the glue that holds the lens onto the housing. You can pry the lens off fairly easy. You need to be somewhat patient and start at one end and work your way around, but still be quick as you need to get it done before the glue cools off again. You'll need a few small pry bars, (screw drivers work, but tends to bend the plastic a little too much). I've used a pair of butter knifes as well and they work decent. Since you have two lenses, you will probably have to do one lens, then put the headlight in the oven again to remove the other because the glue hardens up pretty quick once it begins to cool off.

Once the lenses are off, you simply install the projector into the housing, tighten the nut on the back of the projector. The next step would be to hook up the power and make sure your cut-off line is the same on both projectors and is straight across and level when the headlight is horizontal. I've had to slightly modify the locking tabs on the projector before to get them just right.

After that, remove your bulbs, lay the lenses back onto the headlight housing and place it back in the oven for 3 minutes. Once its warm again, the lenses will push right back into place easily. The kits will usually have some sealant to reseal the lenses. I've found that in most cases, its not needed. There is usually sufficient glue on housing and lens that it melts back together very well and seals up tight. You can use it just to be sure though. But I've had no fogging or moisture issues in any headlights that I have done.

I would do a search on ebay for bi-xenon projector kit. Just make sure you get a complete kit with ballast and projectors. They usually run about $120-$150 for a complete kit with two projectors. You may also want to look for a kit with slim ballast as they will be easier to fit on your bike. Also, I would suggest getting the 4300-5000K bulbs. Anything higher and the lights turns blue to purple. It looks cool to other people looking at your bike, but the light is dull and not very bright. 4300K is oem factory bright white. 5000k is usually the brightest offered in the kits and has a slight blue tint. If you want a noticable blue tint, get the 6000K. This is the highest I would suggest going. Once you go higher, you will drastically loose light output and it will be difficult to see.

Oh yeah, welcome to forum.. This is a great place for information and general discussion. You'll find out pretty quick that this forum is full of mature members that are here to help. It's not like your typical forum of flaming and bashing of memebers. We all have respect for each other and have even had friendships develop. Be sure to check out the other sections. I think you'll like it here.

Last edited by justasquid; 01-08-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM

yeah thanks man i think i will learn a lot from here since im just a beginner lol

but yeah it sounds like a lot of work for me i dont think i can do it hahah.
i dont wanna mess it up you know.

but if im gonna buy one would this be a good choice???
G5 HID Bi-Xenon Headlight Projector Lens Kit with Demon eyes, H4/H1/H7/9004/9005 | eBay