General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my clutch going bad or my Transmission slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch going bad or my Transmission slipping?

Hey guys,
I ride a 2000 Honda CBR F4. It only has 6,600 miles on it so it is pretty young, however the previous owner supposedly stunted it. When I am out riding and i get deep on the throttle and start to climb the RPMs fast it feels and sounds as if i am holding in the clutch for a good second or more and then it kicks back in and i get my power back... This really bothers me and I want ot take care of it before it becomes any bigger problems. Any info will help, thanks friends!

Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's the oil? New,under or over filled?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Default Same

ya know i have a 03 f4i that does the same thing around the same rpm, i have never stunted my bike bought it brand new, and alway change the oil before 3000 miles, it feels like the clutch but i hope not i have 10000 miles on mine with a power comander and two brothers exhust, i put a new clutch lever on it, maybe its not ajusted right, but its only in the higher rpms. maybe some one in here can help us???????

Old 02-18-2010, 07:16 AM

what type of oil are you using. car oils will cause bike clutches to slip. Use Honda oil

Old 02-18-2010, 11:51 AM

I am not sure what oil iam using I know its motorcycle specific, I bought it and filters from cycle gear and I do believe i bought the better of the 2 they offered at the time... I am pulling her apart this weekend and am putting new oil, and cleaning he carbs, is there anything else I should do while in surgery to try and fix this problem as well? lol

Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From your description, that sounds just like what was happening when my truck's transmission was going bad.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

Well a motorcycle transmissions slippage comes from the clutches. Your trucks slippage comes from the clutches in your torque converter. Two totally different beasts. After you change your oil and if you don’t notice any changes I would get a OEM clutch kit with After market springs and get it installed but before you do that, adjust your clutch cable. Just for the sake of doing it, just in case. Try the easiest and cheapest things first before you have to go into the engine case.
As for your truck, slipping trannys SUCK time to get a new torque converter and get her rebuilt. ENJOY!

Old 02-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
Well a motorcycle transmissions slippage comes from the clutches. Your trucks slippage comes from the clutches in your torque converter. Two totally different beasts. After you change your oil and if you don’t notice any changes I would get a OEM clutch kit with After market springs and get it installed but before you do that, adjust your clutch cable. Just for the sake of doing it, just in case. Try the easiest and cheapest things first before you have to go into the engine case.
Originally Posted by bubba_finch07

As for your truck, slipping trannys SUCK time to get a new torque converter and get her rebuilt. ENJOY!

Absolutely. Just describing what my truck did...sorry. ;-) Shoulda left that one for the Toyota 4x4 forum. ;-) BTW, I don't have anything to do w/ "slipping trannys", just transmissions. ;-)

Last edited by gotcbr; 02-18-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:28 PM

trannys, grannys. transmissions.. lol its all good. not "calling" you out or anything just not trying to get it confused for the same thing. Just because a bike slips doesnt mean it needs to be totally rehauled like cars and trucks .

Old 02-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Bike transmissions use gears, so it wont slip, just break a tooth on the gear. Sounds like clutch, but check your oil too. When you drain it, see if it smells burnt. You will now if your clutch is toast when you also take the clutch cover off.

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going bad or my Transmission slipping?