General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle oil or car oil ? Read this ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:07 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Motorcycle oil or car oil ? Read this ...

I'll save ya some reading -- Mobil1 wins. Oh ya, that's what I use ... ha ha ha.

This is a long read but is informative. The only aspect I didn't see covered is about slippery car oils making your clutch slip. I ran Mobil1 15/50 in my 300hp bike with no slippage for 20K miles. I've heard the "energy conserving" oils (10/30 and others) can make your clutch slip.

Car vs. Motorcycle specific oil

Old 01-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle oil or car oil ? Read this ...

Very interesting...
but this quote right here, "Comparing these figures to viscosity retention for the same oils when used in an automobile (see later text by Prof. Woolum) would indicate that motorcycles are indeed harder on oils than cars"
and having a bike under warranty that had a oil related failure could be, but hopefully not, be grounds to void the warranty if not using a motorcycle specific oil...
Other wise Mobil 1 seems like a fine choice( especially if your bike is out warranty coverage)

Old 01-02-2005, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree exactly with what you said. The surprising statistic to me is that the first 800mi after an oil change is where the oil loses its highest percentage of viscosity. And that held true for both car and bike oils. The next 700mi had very little effect on the viscosity.

As far as warranty issues go, if you use the correct weight oil and grade (sf, sg ...) then supposedly the dealer can't jerk ya around. There was a court case years ago involving the auto industry and aftermarket parts (oil filters in that case) and so far the courts have upheld that decision with oil, air filters, spark plugs and the like. In the real world though, it's a pain to drag a dealer to court over something so trivial. So if they ask, lie like a lawyer

Old 02-14-2005, 12:52 AM

tests show that the brands of oil are not very different in a perfomance perspective, but synthetic oils such as the mobil 1 oil are better lubs. like what you mentioned. as far as car oil and special bike brand oils? the tests show with conventional oils that there really is no deference. however if you truely love you bike you would spend the extra money and buy the oil that is top shelf honda oil. why not? also not all bike should run synthetic oil like Mobil 1. you can run into oil blow by / burning. as well as leaking if you bike is higher mileage or does not recamend synth.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:17 AM

Are you trying to tell me I can put regular 10/30 auto oil in my 900rr?

hmmmm
I think I ll buy honda oil until I see something backing this up