General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss-firing and eating batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joecbr
I have a very annoying problem with my 1997 cbr 600 F3, when WOT the at top end revs the bike seems to missfire, and eventually cuts out and dies and drains the battery so i cant even turn over the bike, i can then bump it again and ride for a while and then it dies again...

I charged the battery for 4 hours and then left the bike overnight turned off and it was dead again? so i thought the battery must have had it.

Iv replaced the battery today and all was good for a couple hours, but then a few hours ago it did it again, 3rd gear 12rpm it started to stutter and missfire then dropped like a fly and the brand new battery is now flat????????

could anyone help me out please?

also worth mentioned i have done the emissions removal crap and unplugged the valve and also do not have my sidelights plug connected
Sounds like your battery isn't being charged at all when the bike is running. Do this simple check first. Get the bike started either by bump start or jump leads from another vehicle, then switch your headlight onto dip beam with the light facing a wall or similar. Rev the engine and watch the headlight beam to see if it brightens up as you are revving the engine. If it doesn't then this would suggest a faulty rectifier or alternator. Another test is to put the probes of a voltage tester set to DC across the battery terminals, start the engine and rev the engine and look at the meter to see if the voltage on the meter rises. It should rise to 13.5-14.2 volts when you rev the engine anywhere above 3000 revs. If no increase then there is definitely a fault with the alternator/rectifier. If you know of a good auto electrician, he/she should be able to diagnose the problem. It could also be as simple as a loose or disconnected terminal in the ignition circuit, but I'm afraid I haven't the know-how of electronics to help you in that area. Let us know if you find anything? Good luck!