General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miles per tank.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles per tank.

I know this kind of thread has been drilled before. I just want to share my story.

I ran out of fuel yesterday just after getting her up to the fastest i have gone on her yet (95mph give or take) After the bike died at the next light (while i was in front i might add) I started to trip. I was afraid the "high speed" screwed something up. The bike restarted and i was able to get to a stop sign about 2 city blocks from my house and it died again. I was waiving people by killing my starter thinking wtf. Finally i got off and walked it to the nearest driveway and fiddled around for a couple secs and it hit me. No gas. So, luckily i was only one block to the nearest station and i had a buck in my wallet. I want to apologise for my representation of a rider in public by looking like a total douche btw. I do not have a gauge on my bike which lets me know the fuel lvl.
Is there one i can put on?
If not, whats the best way of keeping track? Do i have to watch my mileage that closely? What is the average MPT for an F3?

Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Miles per tank.

First, high speeds can yield nasty things happening very fast ... and enormously large tickets. I seem to remember you being sort of new to this stuff so I urge you to take your time and be careful.

Now on to your question. I'm not very familiar with the F3 setup but every bike I've owned has either had a gauge or a reserve tank. Never ride with the petcock on reserve because when you run out of gas ... you are OUT.

My suggestion is to fill the tank up, ride 100 miles and then refill. That will give you a ballpark figure of MPG and how far you can go on a tank. Best guess is that if you are tuned reasonably well you should get in the 40s.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:47 PM

you won't run out of gas as long as you don't ride on reserve. your fuel guage is when you bike starts to spudder then you simply switch to reserve(it's easy!). then just fill up at your next gas station switching back the petcock to on after filling up, remember don't leave it on reserve and you'll be fine.[8D]

Old 12-07-2008, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: chainstretcher

First, high speeds can yield nasty things happening very fast ... and enormously large tickets. I seem to remember you being sort of new to this stuff so I urge you to take your time and be careful.
Yup...don't be stupid...95 is faster than the speed limit anywhere in the united states if i'm not mistaken...you'll get the urge to fly, we all do...if you feed it too much one of two things will happen...you'll get hurt(or worse)....or like me and some others...topped out in 6th gear and it still isn't fast enough...now thats when it gets bad...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get an average of 250 klms (155.342 miles) give or take, (with normal riding) before I start thinking about filling her up. Wot I do, is reset the trip meter every time I fill up.
I have run out of petrol once on this bike & once was enough, but that was with 'spirited' riding. (like the odd 150-200 kph speeds, cough, cough) ok I sat on 160 most of the way, but it did look like it was going to possibly, maybe, rain.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got the 08 1KRR I was like WTF, where's the gas gauge like the 600RR had? So I READ THE MANUAL and found out that it tells you how much fuel you've used to the 1/10th of a gallon. It's completely accurate too. It also tells you current and average MPG. sorry about the threadjack, just wanted to share.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 PM

If you don't have a fuel gauge, your trip meter becomes your fuel gauge... re set it evry time you fill up, and get to know how many miles you can ride before needing to refill.

Its all part of getting to know your bike, also, If I remember correctly, F-3's have a fuel selector that includes a reserve setting (like most other carburated Bikes)

There are aftermarket fuel meters/ gauges you can install, if you feel like tackling that project, but they are "universal fit" meaning you do the custom installation/engineering to make it work.

Personally, I Don't know if I trust my skills to drop something into my fuel tank like that.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:30 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

Uh ye.. the petcock was in the up position. I was riding on my reserve. I have it in the lower position now.

*slowly backs away

Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Endless

Uh ye.. the petcock was in the up position. I was riding on my reserve. I have it in the lower position now.

*slowly backs away
[align=center]
[/align]

Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I*ve got a 97 F3 and I get about 185 (+ or - 10 miles) per tank. Just a little FYI. The faster and harder you drive, the faster you will use up a tank of fuel. Driving habits like taking off from stop lights like a raped ape will EAT up fuel. Nice easy acceleration along with flow of traffic driving speeds will produce MPG in the range of 45 or so.

Quick Reply: Miles per tank.