General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might sound like a stupid question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run some seafoam through it. It doesn't replace pulling the carbs but where you are having problems at both high and low rpm it might help.
I have had problems in the past with fuel with too high (10%) ethanol blend. My bike stumbles and fusses...gets hard to start when warm. Just changing fuel made all the difference in the world.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 PM

What exactly does seafoam do? Is it similar to marvel mystery oil?

Old 03-28-2009, 02:25 PM

It is a cleaner/conditioner for fuel. It helps clean the carbs, remove carbon deposits from the combustion chamber, etc. Read the can. It helps wth idling issues. I used it on a bike that was running rough after being stored for the winter...and it was amazing. I bought a whole case after that and run some through the bike every tenth tank of gas.
Never heard of marvel mystery oil so I can't make any comparisons there.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

o.O I have been told by two different people on here to keep my idle around 1.5. and 2
I have even heard 2.5. Sorry bout the bad suggestion. May be a personal issue
has just arose for me because if i go any lower than 1.5 the bike tends to sputter and stop.
When idling it will bounce anywhere between 3 and 1.

I apologize again I would not attempt to give any advice If it was anything more crucial than a 1k difference in idle. Looks like i am heading for my carburetor as well.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Endless, dont stop offering advice. I just disagree with the suggestion, doesnt mean it was bad one. If it works out for you, then by all means share with others what works for you. But his bike does call for an idle at 1200 rpms. Of course, yours shouldnt be that higher either, but if it works, use it. With your idle bouncing that far up and down, I would suggest a carb cleaning and sync. It sounds like perhaps your pilot jets may be clogged or out of sync carbs.

Seafoam is a cleaner like Thrasher said. The original Marvel mystery oil is more like a penetrating oil, unless your reffering to Marvel mystery oils own line of gas treatments. But I agree with Thrasher, Seafoam does somehow make a huge difference in an ill running engine. Im not sure if it would do enough in your situation, but its definately worth a shot. Especially if you put it in the bike, let the bike run long enough to get the seafoam into the carbs and let it sit for a few days.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 PM

Yes please do keep giving advice endless, everyone loves any kinda input, and I did appreciate you trying to help!

I will try te seafoam first, how long should I let it sit? Should I drive it around before I park it?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 PM

Oh and also I'm still leaning towards the neutral switch being bad. I drove it 45 miles today and I noticed the neutral light was flickering at first, went out before I took off. I drove it around anyway, parked it, then went back out again and it stayed on. I'm still waiting on the oil filter to come in (they had to order it) to change my oil. You were saying to clean ti with a mild detergent, like soap??

Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Add the seafoam to the fuel and then let the bike run long enough that the fuel/seafoam mixture makes it into the carbs. Let it sit overnight then go for a good ride. That is how I used it.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM

Sounds good, I will do that today and see if it works for me

Old 03-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

It just struck me that advice or direction given in the case of mechanics is directly in proportion to rider safety. So with direction comes a great responsibility. I guess its just how it is worded...

Quick Reply: Might sound like a stupid question...