General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might sound like a stupid question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might sound like a stupid question...

How do you check the oil in a 900rr if it has no dipstick? How do you know if it has enough? I'm sure I could look it up in the manual, but it hasn't got here yet. I would like to take it out for a test run tonight, but want to make sure it isn't low on oil first

Old 03-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Is there a clear view window on the side of the block? Should be on right side(if your sitting on the bike) Should be close to the rear sets.Probaly round about 1-2inch wide..

Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM

make sure you start the bike, let it warm up, shut it off. then check the oil after it has sat for around 2 minutes. this will put the oil in the sight glass. Also, you will have to have the bike standing upright. So you may have have a friend hold it while you check it.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 PM

Wow yeah there is lol I've never noticed that, it was painted over by the previous owner, should it be towards the top of those two hashes?

Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll post my next question in this same one, I have an electrical issue and I was wondering if anyone could input info on where to start looking. While it is running and idling in neutral, it acts like it wants to cut out. When I start it, I can hear the starter solinoid (no clue how to spell that) clicking more than once. The neutral light flashes and sometimes completely goes out, if I shake the bike around or lean it to the left, it usually comes back on, or it comes back on if i play with the shifter. Overall it seems like something may be loose, causing it to lose power for a fraction of a second, causing it to appear to be sputtering. Any ideas?

Old 03-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Oh yeah, battery is brand new, as are the plugs, and the clicking that the solinoid does as its running is faint

Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like either a loose connection, or a wire shorting out. Oh and BTW the only dumb questions are the ones you already know the answer to.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Do you have an idle adjust ****, little black plastic tube sticking out of side of bike with small ****? Try turning the idle up slightly. What RPM dose the bike idle at?

Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 AM

The oil level should be between the two lines. I like to keep mine in the middle or towards the upper line, but as long as its not over the upper line or below the lower, your good.

Does it only do this while the kickstand is down? the flickering N light would suggest you have a loose connection to your Neutral saftey switch, or its going bad. That is the saftey switch that will shut the bike off if the kickstand is down and you put the bike in gear. Thats why Im wondering with the kickstand up, if you have the same issues. If the issues are only there with the kickstand down, I would assume that its the Neutral saftey switch. You may be able to get away with just cleaning it.

How long has it been since the last oil change?

I'm not sure why the solenoid would be clicking while its running. I can see it do it at start up if the N safety switch is bad, but while its running is odd. Unless its like scooby said, a short somewhere. Unless its just the noise of the engine cutting in and out, and not really the solenoid.

Quick Reply: Might sound like a stupid question...