General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

matching tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 11:22 PM
Default matching tires?

ok i had to replace my back tire this week due to a friggin screw anyway i put a pilot power on the back but still have the stock dunlop qualifier on the front. i have heard a couple times from a few different riders that i need to match the front tire because of handling problems? my question is has anyone had any problems with this or is it necessary to change the front also?

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:15 AM
Default RE: matching tires?

As long as their the same profile & similiar compound as the back, you won't have a problem. They recommend that you run tyres as a set & if I was selling tyres I'd say the same thing. A lot of companies say that their tyres work as a pairs, ie, front tyre pumps water away for better grip on the rear, yep they do, but if all front tyres do that, then......
When your front tyre wears out, sure replace it with the same as the back, but by then your probably going to have to replace the rear again any how. I've run mismatched tyres for years & never had any problems, although my current one are matched, but that was becuase of a good deal I got from my shop.

Old 05-30-2008 | 07:49 AM

IF YOU RIDE A BIKE CAPABLE OF90 MPH + NEVER MIX TIRES !!!!
FIND A MAKE OF TIRE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH AND STICK WITH IT.

Old 06-03-2008 | 05:28 AM
Retired Moderator

I would have replaced it with at least the same brand to get the formula of the tire as close to the front as possible. The problem with mixing tires is the feel, handling and capability. If you just commute with the bike, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, but if you are hitting up the twisties or leaning quite a bit with it, I would replace the front tire with a matching tire as soon as possible.

I too lost my rear tire prematurely due to a damn screw. The stock Dunlops only had 2000 miles on them. But I replaced both of them with a fresh set of Qualifier's. It's amazing the difference a different pair of tires can make a bike feel. It honestly did feel like a completely different (for the better) bike, and tires have a huge role when it comes to traction, feel, stability and handling of the bike.

So my advise, replace the front ASAP with a matching tire. The stock tires are a bit more slick compared to the stickier pilot powers.

Old 06-03-2008 | 07:14 AM

BMW makes the best tire plug kit on Earth.Buy one and put it under your seat.

If you have two different tire brands,you are rolling on two different arcs.You throw that bike over in a turn,it will wobble.Get another PP as soon as you can.