General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Gaskets

Anyone here have experience making gaskets out of the rubber sheets for carbs ?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 AM

I've made many gaskets out of gasket sheets, but never out of random rubber sheets. Without knowing what the material make up is, there is no way to know if would stand up to the abuse and not degrade. The gasket there has to be able to withstand high temps, gas exposure, vibration...ect.

You could probably buy some good gasket sheets from your local auto parts store and start off with the correct stuff. Tell them what its for and they should be able to get a material that will hold up. Then, just simply cut it with a razor blade to shape. Holes are best cut with a tube of some sort. I actually have hole punches, but I have used two washers compressed, one on each side of the gasket, then a bolt that just fits through the hole on the washer tapped through makes a good clean cut as well. Drill bits work, but tend to just rip and tear the material. You can also use the washers and take the razor blade using the washers as a guide and that can leave a decent hole.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Cool man. Yah I actully meant gasket sheets. Have you don't this for float bowls (or odd shaped gaskets)?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM

Have you done this with float bowl gaskets ?

Old 04-30-2010, 01:03 PM

cool, I wasnt sure if you were just talking about rubber sheets. Its good you meant the gasket sheets, I just wanted to make sure.

as far as float bowls, I've never made them before. It might be a bit tricky, since most float bowls are actually more of an O-ring type gasket then just a flat gasket.

If you can, it would probably be wise to get the proper gasket for things meantioned though. Unless its unavailable, then you can always try to make them. Theres only one way to find out..

Something to consider, if your O-rings are flattened out and not sealing anymore, you can remove the O-ring, place a thin layer of gasket maker in the groove and let it set up a little. Then, put the O-ring back and put it on the carb. This will push the O-ring back up a little and allow it to seal again.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Yah that was what I was considering. I think I'm gonna go oem cuz I have less time than money right now and not very much money. But it it doesn't work out then ill be in deeper debt in time and money in the long run . Thanx for you help man

Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Something to consider, if your O-rings are flattened out and not sealing anymore, you can remove the O-ring, place a thin layer of gasket maker in the groove and let it set up a little. Then, put the O-ring back and put it on the carb. This will push the O-ring back up a little and allow it to seal again.
ive done this, and its not a good idea, if any of the sealant sqeezes out into the bowl area, gas will degade it and it will wind up as trash in the bowl and eventually clog the jets, i was trying to save the bux on the proper kit, i did a perfect carb job and the bike ran perfect for two weeks and then slowly started to go to chit,, a member here told me if i used sealant , that was my problem, he was right.upon ttear down i found little pieces of sealant blocking little ports. bought the right gaskets and put it all back together and did the sync, and bike ran perfect. Squid , yer right on the money about the O-ring style and flattening out is the most common problem with these.Just thot i wood throw my horror storry in there...found my honda carb kits from Beaverdam Honda, my bike -93 900RR..

Old 04-30-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I decide on the oem. Honda dealer had them instock too

Old 04-30-2010, 09:12 PM

ive done this, and its not a good idea, if any of the sealant sqeezes out into the bowl area, gas will degade it and it will wind up as trash in the bowl and eventually clog the jets, i was trying to save the bux on the proper kit, i did a perfect carb job and the bike ran perfect for two weeks and then slowly started to go to chit,, a member here told me if i used sealant , that was my problem, he was right.upon ttear down i found little pieces of sealant blocking little ports.
I was just thinking of only putting it below the oring, it wouldn't be in contact with the carb, so it really shouldnt get into the carb, unless excessive amounts were used. But, your probably right, gas is very coorosive, and would probably degrade it.