General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low compression?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low compression?

I took my 2001 F4i with 22k miles to the shop because it won't start.

They are telling me it is low compression across all cylinders. They could only get it to start by putting a little oil in each cylinder. Stuck rings?

Anyway I am not willing to let them tear the motordown so I'm bringing it home tomorrow.

Any ideas for the next step besides doing my own compression test? Marvel Mystery Oil?

Crap.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Default RE: Low compression?

have done a valve adjustment yet?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM

yes, checked last spring, all in spec.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:20 PM

do they know where it's leaking from? pressurizing the cylinders with compressed air and putting an ear to either the crank case breather or the intake or exhaust system will tell them exactly where it's leaking...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:25 PM

no mention of a leak down test.

I guess I learn to do these procedures myself.

Or maybe I'll sell it to a sucker. Nah, I'm too honest.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 PM

wait, so they did a compression test, and wanted to rip the motor apart to fix it?

seriously?

wow.... find another shop. a leak down test is the next logical step! eek...

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 PM

Good point!

I didn't think to ask.

I guess I am trusting and think the best of people so I don't really believe they are trying to just screw me.

Regardless, I'm bringing the bike home. And will take it one step at a time. But damn I've really liked this bike, track days, 600 mile days and week long road trips. The only change I really wanted was a higher bar height on the long days.

I only ride about 6k miles a year, so I was hoping to get another 3 yrs or 18k miles and then get a new bike.

And the fact is that this bike is only worth $3-4k. I am not willing to sink much money into it. Or time, I actually like to ride, hehe.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Why they wouldn't do a leakdown test at the same time they did compression... They didn't happen to tell you what the compression was did they?

Old 02-16-2008, 01:58 AM

easy exit: get another engine. low miles u can get it for around 1k 1.5k . got mine a couple month ago for 1k with 6300 miles .

Old 02-16-2008, 03:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Jason748

Why they wouldn't do a leakdown test at the same time they did compression... They didn't happen to tell you what the compression was did they?
Low compression in every cylinder though, how low? did they bother telling you? If you decide to do the leak down testing yourself, you should place the cylinder you're testing at TDC. Ensure you also have access to the air box and remove your radiator cap as well. If you use a homerig dont use tank presure, but rather air off the regulator as well.

Drain your oil as well if you haven't already (looking for coolant = chocolate milk looking oil), a leaking HG can usually be determined by looking at the oil, but a leak down with bubbling in the coolant will confirm this. Did you overheat at some point?

Quick Reply: Low compression?