General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of power and horrible noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loss of power and horrible noise

I have a 05 CBR 600RR and was on my home from work one day when i noticed a substantial loss of power. The bike started making what i can only describe as fluttering and clanking noises that got louder the more I reved. I had a friend who is a tech helping me try and figure it out but his phone is no longer in service and seems to have dissapeared .. I have replaced the plugs and the cam tensioner pulley which did nothing for it..then he dumped the oil to check for discoloration and flakes and there was neither..He said he was gonna look at the clutch next b4 he vanished on me ... when I was driving home that day i noticed the sound would almost go away when I pushed the clutch lever, so I tried to get some speed and coast half way home and use the throttle as little as possible as the sound made me cringe (poor bike) .Has anyone had this issue or if u are a tech do u know what could be wrong? Im desperate to ride again

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM

by clanking, are you referring more to an engine knock? or possibly a gear slipping and catching?

Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Hi. Sounds like the noise is coming from the clutch to me. If the clutch basket is loose on the gearbox output shaft it will make a racket as you are experiencing! Might be worth having a look behind the cover and checking. When you pulled the clutch lever in and it went a bit quieter seems to point to that area. By pulling in the clutch lever you have basically taken the drive to the gearbox away and lightened the load on the clutch basket. Let us know how you get on?

Originally Posted by Smokkripp
I have a 05 CBR 600RR and was on my home from work one day when i noticed a substantial loss of power. The bike started making what i can only describe as fluttering and clanking noises that got louder the more I reved. I had a friend who is a tech helping me try and figure it out but his phone is no longer in service and seems to have dissapeared .. I have replaced the plugs and the cam tensioner pulley which did nothing for it..then he dumped the oil to check for discoloration and flakes and there was neither..He said he was gonna look at the clutch next b4 he vanished on me ... when I was driving home that day i noticed the sound would almost go away when I pushed the clutch lever, so I tried to get some speed and coast half way home and use the throttle as little as possible as the sound made me cringe (poor bike) .Has anyone had this issue or if u are a tech do u know what could be wrong? Im desperate to ride again

Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM

essanem I dont believe the gear is slipping im no expert tho i just ride..It doesnt feel like its waiting to catch a gear ,it just has no power anymore , as to the noise I have no clue where it is coming from I just know it goes along with the throttle and is greatly reduced when it is in neutral not reving or when I press the cluch lever in.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Highway patrol: is this a common problem? my bike has roughly 30k miles on it and is 6 years old. I would not know what I am looking for if I took the cover off as I know next to nothing about clutches