General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legal issues. PLEASE READ! need advice asap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010 | 08:14 PM
|
Default Legal issues. PLEASE READ! need advice asap

hey guys hows it going? im a little ticked off about this whole situation involving my 01 CBR 600 F4I. let me start with some back round info.

ok so i purchased a used 01 CBR 600 F4I with only 900 original miles on it in non working condition (needed a new fuel pump and gas tank due to the fact that the bike was sitting for most of its life with fuel in the tank) from a private seller in Staten Island New York in September 2009. i bought the bike with $2800 cash with a promise of a clear title and written signed bill of sale signed by the private seller and me. i did not get the title for the bike until months after my purchase because of the fact that the title was in the 1st owners name. after the 2nd owner (private seller from Staten Island that sold me the bike) got a new title witch was under his name, he then sent it out to me. i take the title to the dmv and ask them to change the title into my name, they tell me there is a lean on the bike. i call the private seller (2nd owner) and tell them that i need a letter of lean release. he tells me he will get it asap. months later after calling him frequently and asking for the letter of lean release, he tells me has it. so i pick it up only to find out that it has been damaged in the mail. i did not think this would be a problem because the damage was minimal (see attached image of the damaged document below). after going to the dmv once again with the damaged letter of lean release and the title, they tell me they wont accept the damaged document and i have to get a new one. I call the private seller and tell him that i need a new one because no dmv will accept the damaged letter (i tried 3 different dmv's). once again he tells me he will get it asap. several months later and a million phone calls i am stuck with a bike that is not in my name that i cannot ride sell or register. i cannot deal with this person anymore and im out of ideas.. i am thinking about taking him to court.. what do you think about this? do i have a solid case?

THINGS THAT I HAVE TRIED TO GET A NEW LETTER OF LEAN RELEASE:
- called the financial firm that issued the letter of lean
- the told me that only the account holder of the lean can only ask for a new document
- called multiple dmv's and non of them could do anything to help me
- called the new york dmv and i was SOL

I AM ALL OUT OF OPTIONS! I SIMPLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! PLEASE HELP! any advice /input will help. please helpful comments only! thank you so much in advance.

Name:  leinreleaseeditted.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  101.0 KB
THINGS THAT I HAVE TRIED TO GET A NEW LETTER OF LEAN RELEASE:
- called the financial firm that issued the letter of lean
- the told me that only the account holder of the lean can only ask for a new document
- called multiple dmv's and non of them could do anything to help me
- called the new york dmv and i was SOL

I AM ALL OUT OF OPTIONS! I SIMPLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO! PLEASE HELP! any advice /input will help. please helpful comments only! thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by Evolution_X; 06-15-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-14-2010 | 09:15 PM
|

22 views and nothing? come on guys i really need your help!

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:21 PM

Honestly, only thing you can do is threaten legal action. But actual legal action would be costly, lengthy and may not have the result you want.

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:33 PM
|

so worst case scenario im stuck with the bike. if that's the case.. what to do from there? can i still sell it with out a title as a track bike?

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:36 PM
|

is there anyway i can use the vin number of this bike to get contact information of the original owner?

Old 06-14-2010 | 09:46 PM

If the lien has been released, the title is kinda free and clear. You just need the document to get a clear title printed.

If you call him, threatening legal action unless he responds immediately it might get him to respond. The legal action being a lawsuit for the cost of the bike and any legal costs incurred for failure to provide all documentation necessary to complete the sale. Of course, he may go to ground.

If you don't retitle the bike, you obviously can't get it registered in your name nor make it street legal. If you plan on trailering it to a track, that's not a real issue unless a question of ownership is ever brought up. Hopefully you have a bill of sale for it with signatures (preferably witnessed as well).

Old 06-14-2010 | 11:24 PM

Do you have the piece that is missing? You could always try ye ole photocopier. Maybe a carfax would give you the original owners name? Who had a lien on the bike, original owner or S.I. guy? Also if he got a release letter doesn't that mean the lien was paid off? How much time has gone by since it was paid off, At some point conseco finance should update the DMV so it doesn't come up in the computers as having a lien right? Does NY do title searches?
Ok i think i confused myself now, but if that doesn't work, I would definatley try to get a hold of the original owner, as well as threaten and look into legal action on S.I. guy. Something has to work!

Last edited by DunnRR; 06-14-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2010 | 12:06 AM

Get a bonded title, it costs 125.00 and you can register it under your name. after 2 years you have it realeased and have no problems. Johnnyh

Old 06-15-2010 | 08:25 AM
|

Originally Posted by johnnyh
Get a bonded title, it costs 125.00 and you can register it under your name. after 2 years you have it realeased and have no problems. Johnnyh
can you please explain how to get this bonded title?

Old 06-15-2010 | 08:28 AM
|

Originally Posted by DunnRR
Do you have the piece that is missing? You could always try ye ole photocopier. Maybe a carfax would give you the original owners name? Who had a lien on the bike, original owner or S.I. guy? Also if he got a release letter doesn't that mean the lien was paid off? How much time has gone by since it was paid off, At some point conseco finance should update the DMV so it doesn't come up in the computers as having a lien right? Does NY do title searches?
Ok i think i confused myself now, but if that doesn't work, I would definatley try to get a hold of the original owner, as well as threaten and look into legal action on S.I. guy. Something has to work!
i dont have the piece that is missing. any idea what the missing part says? i can always try and "fix" it my self. the original owner had a lien on the bike and yes the lien was paid off. Conseco closed down and turned into peach tree i think.

Quick Reply: Legal issues. PLEASE READ! need advice asap