General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought 96 F3. Has no electrical power and need help figuring it out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 96 F3. Has no electrical power and need help figuring it out.

Ok just bought this bike and got it for a steal becasue it has some issues. Well biggest is it has no electrical powwr. Has 12v at batt. and same on batt. side of starter relay. 0v on other side goinf to starter Solwenoid and 0v on either side of main fuse.arter relay ya think? Looks like everything on bike gets power thru this relay.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM

try jumpering the relay with a paper clip or if you have a power probe supply power to starter and see if she will spin....amd have you checked all fuses under right upper fairing?

Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 PM

Yes all fuses in fuse box are good. What I want to also know is shouldn't main fuse have power to one side or does one of the 4 smaller wires trigger the relay. I figured fuse shoild at least have power on one side of it then other when triggered???

Old 06-11-2013, 08:55 PM

with the fuse in place you should have power on both sides without the fuse you will only have power on one side and 1 wire going to the relay will have your power and then the relay acts as a switch transferring pow er to one of the other wires to do what it needs to do you can most times look at the relay and their will be a diagram with which pib it will transfer power to...so with a test light make sure you are getting power going to the relay and if so pull the relay out just a little bit but so that way it still gets contact on the pins and make sure it's transferring the power to he other wire whichever 1 it may be

Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 PM

Ok about 98% sure relay is shot. Jumpered from pis. side of batt. to the wires in conn. Well horn could be heard faintly. So hooked up battery jump start box and horn worked. Jumpered to other wire and dash and left signal worked. Right wouldn't but think thats a signal switch issue. Jumpered to started wire and bike started cranking right over. Gonna get new relay asal.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Just make sure you understand that the only thing the main relay does is engage the starter motor. The relay itself doesn't provide power to the rest of the bike. So long as the 30A fuse is good, and the Ignition Switch is turned on and functioning, everything else should power up.

On an F3, the Starter Relay looks like this and the fuse controls 12v coming out of that R/W wire you see there. I'm actually holding onto the connector that plugs into the relay, the relay is the black thing in the background with the 30A fuse in it.

Name:  DSC05907.jpg
Views: 1902
Size:  117.4 KB

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 PM

glad ya goter figured out

Old 06-13-2013, 12:04 AM

IDoDirt. Yes and no. Lol. I understand the relay itself does not get triggered to supply power to rest I f bike but power does get supplied thru it correct. Considering that's only place power from pis side of battery is hooked up. I have 12v to side that hooks to batt. but nothing in fuse or those 4 wires in that plug. So to me has to be that relay.or in my case power distribution part of it is bad. Would you agree?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM

IDoDirt could you possibly txt me? 2sixzero 41seven 1nine26 thx Would like to talk more about this but nit have to wait for replies. Thx Chip

Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'll try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Just bought 96 F3. Has no electrical power and need help figuring it out.