General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ipod - Music while riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod - Music while riding

Hey, Wasn't sure where to put this but was in a discussion with a few other riders on whether or not riding with music is a good idea. Helmets have spaces now for headphones especially the ones that come stock with the IPOD. Is riding with music legal? Maybe the state cop that rides and checks this forum might know? (forgot your screen name, sorry) I think it might not be legal. Do most people ride listen to music or just the roar of the engine?

Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Default RE: Ipod - Music while riding

my bike makes its own music,

Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 PM

as long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to drive the motorcycle safely, it isn't illegal. But everywhere is different, thats the law here.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read below Ohio Revised Code 4511.84 and you will see that it might be illegal if you live in Ohio and not only for motorcycles but for all motor vehicles. I sat "might" because it says earphones do not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear. Also notice it says "two" ear phones so in Ohio you would be O.K. with one in. By reading the code I just learned myself that ear plugs are illegal too. Bottom line, don't give a cop a reason to stop you and will more then likely get away with it.

I personally don't think I would want the distraction of music when riding in the city. During a long ride on long low traffic strait aways it might be O.K.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
§ 4511.84. Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.

(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to;

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

HISTORY: 143 v S 6. Eff 10-30-89; 149 v S 123, § 1, eff. 1-1-04.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 AM

Music is all a matter of preference. Personally I have speakers mounted in my helmet and enjoy the music. It really depends on you if its safe or not. As for legallity, every state has their own laws on that...it may even get as technical as county law, I don't have a clue on that. But I'f you dont get pulled over who cares? Hell the last time I was pulled over I never even took my helmet off....

Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 PM

thanks... I acutally tried riding with the IPOD last night. Different experience... but all in all better without. I agree with Anubis... my bike sings sweetly to me and I like listening to that best.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:10 PM

not a bad choice, same here!

Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 PM

Id never ride with earphones because for ME it would be too much of a distraction. I once tried it though on a quad and it made me feel kinda off balance, but to each his own.

Old 08-03-2005, 11:05 PM

I use a I-pod all of the time, I find it more relaxing and i don't find myself doing stupid **** down the highways!

Old 08-04-2005, 04:29 AM

i haven;t tried listening to my ipod while riding. will give it a shot on my way home after work and see how it is

Quick Reply: Ipod - Music while riding