General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Chain- 1st timer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing Chain- 1st timer

I purchased a 520 kit with a set of Vortex F/R sprockets and an EK chain. I have3 questions, now that I've gotten the old 525 off (whew!).

1) The old 525 had 54sideplates including the master link, making a 108 link chain. Since I'm staying with stock 16/46 gearing, how manylinks should the new chain have?

2) When I removed the old chain, I used a chain breaker to pop the master link. How orwheredo I remove the above number of links from the chain?

3) I'm feeding the new chain onto the bike from the rear sprocket and I'm noticing that the rollers don't quite fit in-between the teeth of the new rear sprocket, andas a resultthe chain won't grab the sprocket. The front sprocket fits as expected. Is this normal or is something wrong?

Thanks for helping an amatuer greasemonkey.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing Chain- 1st timer

alright JB....i bought the same setup but i went down -1 in the front....

here's your answers...

1) the chain should have the same number of links if you didn't change the gearing....although the pitch is different (520 v. 525)...the gearing is still the same and thus the chain length...

2) i am not going to attempt to accurately explain this but essentially you want to break it so that you have two inner links left....the last link (w/ a plate) will be the master....as that will slide through the two inner links making one more outer link...that make sense....from that...you should be able to figure out how many links and where to break the new one to remove links....or you could just line up your old chain and mimic what it looks like minus the master since it is the same number of links....

3) as for the last thing...something seems wrong....if everything is 520 pitch, it should catch onto it no problem...sounds like there is a discrepancy somewhere...either in chain or sprocket...meaning either you got a different pitch front and chain and a 520 rear sprocket...or you got a 520 front sprocket and chain but a different pitch rear sprocket....

on a side note, just make sure it line up on there correctly....just saying, if you are trying to feed it on an angle, it not pop in right....

let us know...

happy wrenching...

Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM

Thanks Ffingers- CBRforum is quick

1- I read up that the pitch is the measurement of roller center to roller center so in my theory the chain length should be same new 525 to new 520 but the # of links different. Am I not understanding?

2- I get that I want to remove some of the links my question is: is it possible to break the chain at a spot where there is no master link? I suppose I could use my old chain to test.

3- I checked the chain adjusters and snugged down the rear and it's still as if the rear sprocket is too thick for the chain. It says 252-46. Is this the wrong sprocket packaged as a 520?

If this doesn't work, I gota slightly used 15T front and a new AFAM 48T rear I could try (sigh).

Old 04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered Users

let me try this...

1) argh, i mis-typed...the pitch between a 520 and 525 are the same 5/8"...the difference is in the roller width...the 520 having a smaller roller width than the 525....however...we are talking about 6.35mm vs. 7.94mm (pulled these from another site)...the issue is that you can't have 1 link less because the chain wouldn't work as you would end up with an outside and inner link to try and rivet so chains are always even...i.e., 108, 110, 120...etc....so moving from stock 108, you would have to move to 110 links....i think 110 will be too long..i am not sure...unfortunately, like i said, i dropped a tooth and i stayed at 108.....i would put on your sprockets and wind the chain around and measure it out....sorry if this is scattered brained...i am at work and need to go home....

2) yes you can break a chain at a normal (non-master link)...some people grind the head off to make it easier on the cutting pin...i didn't...but i did break a pin in the process.....(i think that is what you were asking? right?)

3) are the rollers not sitting into the sprocket? i am trying to visualize what's going on....as for the right sprocket...i don't remember the number of my vortex offhand....

Old 04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Registered Users

i just looked...looks like that vortex rear is 525 not 520...which would explain your problem!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:58 PM

1- I hope you're right
2- I'll give it a shot
3- I did a search and found out that the rearIS a 525 mispackaged. And if that is correct, then the rollers should still fit.

Option 2 take the rear back off, and swap to 15/48 (non-preferred)

Old 04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered Users

yeah i guess your right...technically a 520 chain SHOULD fit in a 525 sprocket seeing as the 525 would allow for a larger roller width than the 520 chain and the pitch is the same....hmmm....i dunno..i am stumped as to why things are fitting right.....maybe take a picture...

Old 04-23-2008, 05:21 PM

I was able to get the old 525 to grab the new Vortex. That's the problem with #3. They put a 525 in a 520 package.[:@]

Solution: I've decided to go with a gearing change to 16/48, thereby keeping all new components and minimizing my downtime. Based on the gearing chart, I should get better acceleration, albeit not as much as the praised -1+2 (15/48) setup.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If i were you, i would also just mount up the wheel on the axle, and put on the front sprocket, then mount up the chain before you cut it, make sure nothing goofy happens. Last thing you need it to cut it to 108 and for some stupid reason find yourself a link short. I swear i have seen it happen.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM

^ Dat's a plan

Quick Reply: Installing Chain- 1st timer