General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial 600 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Initial 600 mile service

I just bought my bike 3-9-06 and the recommended initial service is at 600 miles. I reviewed what service/inpsection that is recommended to be performed and I can't justify spending $157 at a dealer to adjust my throttle, change my oil and filter and do a once over on the bike. I'm wondering if anyone feels the importance of having the dealer doing the initial service. I do checks prior to every ride, I can change my oil and filter, adjust my throttle, etc. I'll admit, if it is something over my head I will get a professional, but $157 to change the oil, no way. Nothing is wrong with the bike its BRAND NEW! I checked the warrantry and it will not void the warrantry if I do my own serivce. Comments, suggestions or opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Default RE: Initial 600 mile service

Do it yourself as long as your mech-inclined, oil changes are a good start for working on your own bike.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 03-24-2006, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the support. I performed all the maintenance on my previous bike, granted it was a 1994 Ninja, except changing the tires. I figured I would be ok, just wanted to get a few opinions, this is my first new bike

Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea do it all yoself!
watch that oil filter...the very first change is usually tough because a lot of bikes come from the factory with oil filters tightened on by godzilla...
you may have to stock a screwdriver in it to get it to turn.
t

Old 03-28-2006, 12:44 PM

$30 youself. You consider a pipie yet? I'm fighting the Yoshi battle right now.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:13 PM

what is a yoshi battle mang? are you like playing super mario or something?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:23 PM

Just completed the first oil change/service this morning. Wanted to get it done 'cause it was going to be nice weather in Philly for once. Had the usual headaches, but I was prepared, overtighten oil filter, drian bolt, etc. I adjusted the supsension, she's ridin' sweet now, lubed the chain, adjusted the clutch and throttle, wiped it all down and I was off.

Couple questions, did anyone notice the fines that was in the old oil. I thought it was quite a bit and I'm thinking of doing another oil change prior to the recommended 4000 mile interval. I do a mixture of city, stop and go and hard highway riding (>100 mph). I use Repsol 10W-40. Comments suggestions.

Anyone else have a b-tch of time getting the lower fairing back on. It came off no problem but the damn bolt holes didn't exactly line up when I was putting back it together. And you have to make sure you line up the bottom/front to the middle sections. Man I wish I had a lift, but I'm happy I just got my garage. I used to this shyt in my apartment parking lot[:@]

Next phase: decal removal off the swing arm and helmet warning on the tank.

Still can't believe they were going to charge me $157 and I bet they wouldn't cared for it like did. They would have slapped it back together like legos.

Old 04-01-2006, 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Frerice

Just completed the first oil change/service this morning. Wanted to get it done 'cause it was going to be nice weather in Philly for once. Had the usual headaches, but I was prepared, overtighten oil filter, drian bolt, etc. I adjusted the supsension, she's ridin' sweet now, lubed the chain, adjusted the clutch and throttle, wiped it all down and I was off.

Couple questions, did anyone notice the fines that was in the old oil. I thought it was quite a bit and I'm thinking of doing another oil change prior to the recommended 4000 mile interval. I do a mixture of city, stop and go and hard highway riding (>100 mph). I use Repsol 10W-40. Comments suggestions.

Anyone else have a b-tch of time getting the lower fairing back on. It came off no problem but the damn bolt holes didn't exactly line up when I was putting back it together. And you have to make sure you line up the bottom/front to the middle sections. Man I wish I had a lift, but I'm happy I just got my garage. I used to this shyt in my apartment parking lot[:@]

Next phase: decal removal off the swing arm and helmet warning on the tank.

Still can't believe they were going to charge me $157 and I bet they wouldn't cared for it like did. They would have slapped it back together like legos.
My Honda dealer charged me $87 for my first and last oil change by them and I thought that was high. Looking back I should have done it myself but that was before I had the shop manual so I decided to let them do it. One reason was so I could watch and see what they did in regards to removal of plastics and the second reason was that I wanted see what the service experience would be like in case I needed to use them for something serious.

I have had my plastics off many times since letting the dealer do the first oil change and it has been my experience that if your bolts are not lining up it usually means the plastics aren't lined up correctly. Hondas have great fit and finish when it comes to their plastics so again if things aren't lining up then it is usually the persons fault doing the maintenance. After you have the plastics off a few more times you should start to see the pattern and order they need to be replaced.

Where did you get your suspension adjustment settings? What is your height and weight in case it is similar to mine? My 600 handles not nearly as nice as my 1000 and I want to resolve that.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:58 AM

Yeah, the lower fairing was off by 1/8 inch maybe. I think because off the flex in the plastics. Oh I checked to make sure everthing was lined up right, trust me. I just had to make sure not to tighten anything until everything was in place. After that, all was good

The suspension settings, I just used my own judgement. I felt the rear preload was to soft, so I stepped it up one, but softened the compression two clicks to compensate for the preload adjustment. The front was good from the factory, but just a 1/2 a turn to stiff and that made a world of difference to eat up any bumps. I wrote everything down. I'll ride wth these settings for awhile and see how I feel after another 500 miles or so, just to tweak it some more. I haven't really had a chance to push it yet on my favorite road. I have a three page summary from the book Total Control, it was a good reference. This site won't allow me to save a PDF. I can PM you with the file if you like.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 AM

I agree with you man. If you know what your doing why not. Do it.

Quick Reply: Initial 600 mile service