General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking this is the carb, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm thinking this is the carb, suggestions?

I need to know what I should do next...

I have a 2000 600F4 with 15,xxx on the clock. The issue is when warm (and by warm I mean operating temp) the bike tends to bog down and sometimes die in idle. My throttle response is, well, boggy, but if I blip it real quick the bike seems to do ok. And by that I mean have more instant throttle response.

One of the first things I noticed is when I'm riding along at highway speeds my temp needle tends to say in the bottom quarter of the gauge, nothing drastic or anything. You know, on a car for operating temp, the needle stays right in the middle? Say for instance, I'm stuck at train or have the bike idle for a period of time (1-2 minutes depending how warm it is outside) the temp needle will creep up into the middle range. I have not seen it go higher than that however. This is also where the idle starts acting up.

So, what's my next move? I can live with it but for me (being a new rider) having the engine bog when I accelarate from a stop is beginning to get annoying. I have been known to wrench on my stuff and would be ok doing work myself to save money but with where I live, heart surgery in my garage is not really an option.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem definately sounds fuel related. There is a similar problem experienced on the F4 at idle when the cooling fan comes on, the bike will spit and sputter when taking off because of lack of power for the ignition system. This doesn't sound like your problem. Just check the easy stuff first, air cleaner, plugs, etc. I would say some carb adjustments may be in order.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the maint. Did you just get it? Have you changed the plugs on it? how long ago? When was the last oil change? Clean the carbs really good, not some half *** once over quickie. lol Then you should sync them. (do a search to learn how) Proly should back flush the cooling system too. (especialy since temp. is a factor with your prob.) And d/l a manual.
On another note, clean, inspect, and lube chain (or replace), inspect the brakes and rotors, ect., ect.