General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i believe my complete wiring is ****!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i believe my complete wiring is ****!

bought an 01 F4i and it runs amazing without a single problem after putting 5k miles on it this season.

my only problem has been on and off so i didn't worry about it. first one is my tail lights would kind of flicker when i applied the brakes. i took the tail off and discovered a loose connection at the light itself, problem solved. i then had my turn signals malfunctioning, sometimes they would work and sometimes not! the orange blinking indicator lights in my gauge were not showing them being on. every once in a while they would work and some times even speed up really fast. so for my winter project i been going through everything making sure its all secure and wiring is how it "SHOULD" be! I believe the kid before me who put on an aftermarket tail with the two led lights went in there for some reason and cut and mismatched wires to make it all work... i have a ball of wires where i can see the original wiring cut and spliced with his own. im very confused on what the hell he tried to rig up and im convinced this is the lead cause to my headlight brights not working along with my tach that works once in a while! is there anywhere i can get a schematic or diagram of the whole harness kit itself so i can put these wires back where they belong, or is there a reason he actually needed to switch them for aftermarket tail lights and blinkers?

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=DSC00387.jpg

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=DSC00386.jpg

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...t=DSC00385.jpg

Old 01-29-2010, 02:34 PM

Here's a schematic for the 01-03 F4i: Schematic

Based on the looks of the splices, the PO didn't quite know what he was doing. Surprised they held up at all.

Last edited by randyjoy; 01-29-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM

thanks, ill go get to work.

is there any reason you know of that he would need to do this in the first place? it seems like he was canceling out certain positives and grounds for the blinkers to work off of one + and - lead. i hold this mess and dont know what the hell is going on. haha

Old 01-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Possible he had two-wire front blinkers when they should have been three-wire (so no running lights unless they tapped the wires together).

Old 01-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best advice I can offer is to completely remove his wiring and start back from the stock wires. Plan it out on paper first and keep the paper so 3 years down the road you'll know why you ran that purple wire how ya did Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Don't ya just hate an electrical bodge. Unless we're standing next to you there's not much any of us can offer here judging by your pics but be sure, you've got plenty of will power behind your efforts.
Hope you manange to make some sense out of that dyslexic telephone exchange style wiring harness.
It'll come all right if you're patient.
I'm not much help, just moral support. We all need it in our hour of need.
The light bulb WILL come on!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been there, done that... found 4 feet of wire spliced into the harness (seriously). Gotta love fixing someone else's insanity. Don't bother trying to figure out why he thought that wire shoulda gone there.

With the schematic, a voltmeter and lots of beer you'll figure out what wire goes where. Like chainstretcher suggested, try getting back to stock. Then move forward from there.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Been there, done that... found 4 feet of wire spliced into the harness (seriously). Gotta love fixing someone else's insanity. Don't bother trying to figure out why he thought that wire shoulda gone there.

With the schematic, a voltmeter and lots of beer you'll figure out what wire goes where. Like chainstretcher suggested, try getting back to stock. Then move forward from there.
Could have been for a tail light when he was drag racing.

Yep, beer is much better than any meter..... less calibration required too.

Just cut the cancer out and revert to schematic colours and your home and dry.