General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I beat the **** out of my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I beat the **** out of my bike...

Can you guys help me put it back together again?

Here's what's wrong with my bike (Cbr600F4) - if you guys could in any way give me advice on what I can do to improve it please let me know.

1) Fairings are ****ed up bad. Pain is scratched off on almost 1/3rd of the right fairing. Less bad on the left one.
- Is there a way to repaint it over?
- Is it better just to buy cheap chinese fairings off ebay?

2) Bike won't start consistently. Have to jump it via cables and car almost every month to get it going again.
- Does jumping the bike with a car hurt the bike?
- Is it the battery? is it something else?

3) Missing screws and ****ed up a couple brackets on the left fairings. Left fairings is tied down with zipties.
- Where can I buy those little brackets, bolts and screws?

4) ****ed up both the clutch and front brake levers in falls/drops. Both are bent, but usable.
- I have replacement levers, how do i put them on?

5) Overall status of the bike and it's rider.
Rider, (me) is ****ty and not confident at all. What can I do to become more confident about the bike? It rides me, I don't feel like I have much control over it.
- I took the MSF BRC months ago. I've read nonstop on tips on riding, watched keith code's dvd. But I don't know anyone around here who rides who I could talk to about this stuff. (my friend rides but he's even more newb than me).
- Should I put ANY money into this bike, or just pay off the loan and sell it.
- I'm 2700 in the hole on it, bike is probably worth 1500 in it's current state. Idk for sure though.
- I regret buying a 600 so much as a first bike. It was such a beautiful bike too. And i completely ****ed it up. Because I can't ride for ****.

Thanks for your help...

Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM

for repainting, it would be easiest probably to get a gun and spray it one color all over. There is a thread on the front page in the how to section for fairing repair iif you have holes. to get the brackets and bolts you might have to buy the bolt kit for the bike. i would just go to the store and find one that works. you could make your own brackets if you cant find them. perhaps check ebay.

as for the levers i dont know. take linkage out, undo bolts, might have a spring, or something similar. i would just start taking them apart , they cant be to complicated . if they are hydraulic make sure the new lever seats in right before you test ride.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:21 PM

As for confidence try riding the bike around a parking lot. Idling mind you. And get a good feel for just riding it.
Once you feel comfortable go ahead and learn forward over the tank a bit and give it tiny amount of gas. If it feels like the bike is pulling you and not you riding it let off the gas and pull in the clutch. Once you can get past the bike pulling you every where it will all just come to you with time.

Ps don't even think of fixing anything other than the levers till you get a better handle.
Also consider asking the place you bought the bike from for some help.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ren19
- I regret buying a 600 so much as a first bike. It was such a beautiful bike too. And i completely ****ed it up. Because I can't ride for ****.

Thanks for your help...
In my personal opinion, theres no point having less than a 600. Its good all round and it doesnt matter what size engine you have! why you ask?

Because your in control of the power! your control the brakes! your control the throttle! and your control the clutch!

Take it all slow until you get your confidence back ( currently what im doing ) but remember you ARE in control! it wont ride itself

mat

Old 02-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Thanks all for your comments

revilingfool, as far as painting goes that sounds like a good idea. there aren't any holes or cracks, just big scratched areas. I'm not sure on how exactly to repaint but I'll look up some DIY guides for fairings. Good idea btw I'm going to check some OEM honda parts dealers to see if they have the bolt kit for my bike.

DagonRais, I'm not on a level where I don't know how to work the bike. I've been riding since october. it's just that my confidence has been shaken since i've put it down twice already

drzed1980, you've got a point. may i ask what happened to you that shook your confidence up? I hope you and the bike are okay

thanks all.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:13 PM

If you dont have any cracks in the fairings just give them a nice sanding (prep is key) and use QUALITY paint when you paint it (and dont spray bomb). I have had good results with a good paint and a clearcoat on top which really makes it pop.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:14 PM

BTW I have heard its bad to jump from a car....ie. could fry the electrical. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-04-2011, 06:35 PM

As long as the cars not running its fine.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeh
As long as the cars not running its fine.
Wait, what? That's how you jump something, anything. With the car running.

--

Right?

Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ren19
Wait, what? That's how you jump something, anything. With the car running.

Right?
I've heard that when jump starting from a high amp car output system to a much lower motorcycle system it is best to leave the car off or bad electrical things could happen to the bike.

Quick Reply: I beat the **** out of my bike...