General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how often do u change ur air filter and plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how often do u change ur air filter and plugs?

Just curious on how often your stock air filter lasts and how often people change their plugs?Ive got 11,000 miles on my 04 cbr 600 RR running on the same filter and plugs of the show room floor.I dont know if its me putting on a few pounds over the winter or a combination of both meaning the plugs and filter are due for a change, but my bike did seem like it was loosing a little bit of power late in the summer?

Old 12-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Default RE: how often do u change ur air filter and plugs?

i have been told to change my air filter as soon as i get my bike out of the show room. I was told to put in a K&N

Old 12-26-2005, 12:36 AM

Check the service manual . . . . lists what to do at what mileage, my F4i manual says for 12K replace air filter and at 16K replace the plugs (btw, brake fluid too)

Old 12-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Registered Users

I change my air filter everytime I get the oil changed; every 2.5K to 3K miles, but that's overkill on my part. I've yet to have the plugs changed as the bike only has a little over 6K miles. Bought it last Spring from a guy who had it stored in his garage for almost three years. He was afraid to ride it (when I got it, it only had 1,200 miles). She still fires up great, but I plan to have new plugs installed during the next oil change.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:27 PM

damn 2.5 -3,000 miles for an air fliter? you must have stock with k&N cause it does sound like over kill.I guess it's time for me to replace mine.

Old 12-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered Users

Yep..air filter is stock and yeah, I'm all about maintenance to the point of overkill sometimes. Stems from a bad experience when my CBR 250RR (2-stroke) blew up on me (while I was riding it) because I didn't keep enough oil in it. Who'd a thunk the damn thing would burn so much oil. Happened while I was riding to Tokyo and fortunately some passersby stopped and helped peel me off the side of the road. Ever since then, I've been a stickler for keeping my bikes juiced. Take care of it and it'll take care of me.

Thinking about the K&N tho'...maybe put that on with a PowerCommander and get it tuned and dyno'd to feel the bike's true potential.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 PM

You can save alot of money and buy a K&N and just clean it instead of replacing it, the stock filter is not cleanable, but 2.5 -3k is waaaayy to early to throw away a perfectly good filter

Old 12-28-2005, 06:12 AM

I check my air filter every time i change the oil, standard service i do is every 4k but i also change the oil before and after each trackday, at 4k the filter was fine at 8k the filter was filthy so i changed it to a k&n. Purely because of the re-usable thang.

According to the Honda Manual it a change every 12k miles, but like i said mine was really dirty so it depends on the conditions where you ride i reckon.

As for the Plugs they won`t get changed until 12k i think, they seem fine at the mo.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: stephygee

Thinking about the K&N tho'...maybe put that on with a PowerCommander and get it tuned and dyno'd to feel the bike's true potential.
Get ready for that bill... The shop I checked with locally quoted me $235, I think... it's was around $235 for a dyno with adjustments.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Registered Users

Thanks for the update I'm not worried about the bill tho'...you know how it is...deployed, racking up money, and nothing to spend it on. Got no bills (except the house payment), so I can indulge my hobby--motorcycles. Now...if only I can find a NOS kit that'll launch me into next week.... Just kidding!

Quick Reply: how often do u change ur air filter and plugs?