CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   How to hold up the bike to take the forks out? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/how-hold-up-bike-take-forks-out-61642/)

DFour 03-06-2008 04:45 PM

How to hold up the bike to take the forks out?

what is the best way to do this? i dont really want to go the "hang it from a rafter with rope" method this time though. any suggestions?

KidCr3nshaw 03-06-2008 04:54 PM

RE: How to hold up the bike to take the forks out?

I used an old tire with a couple of thin boards on top and rested the bike's exhaust on that.

Raise the rear wheel, place your improvised, "jackstands" in place, lower the rear and the front will raise slightly off the ground...

Perfect!

bluej511 03-06-2008 05:24 PM

Yea buy a trex tripletree front stand.

DFour 03-06-2008 07:17 PM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

I used an old tire with a couple of thin boards on top and rested the bike's exhaust on that.

Raise the rear wheel, place your improvised, "jackstands" in place, lower the rear and the front will raise slightly off the ground...

Perfect!
ill go this route for sure.. no chance of bending or kinking the exhaust at the headers with all that weight on there? or are headers pretty strong?

TBFGhost 03-06-2008 08:40 PM

If you have frame sliders, just put jack stands under them. Works great for my 4i and my buddies RR

HAVOC 03-06-2008 09:16 PM

the best way is to buy a jackstand that supports the bike from the neck of the frame opposed to lifting the forks (only if you have to take the forks off does this jack make it a better choice)

letsride 03-06-2008 09:20 PM

+1 on the tripple clamp stand

Cletus 03-06-2008 10:40 PM

If you dont have the triple tree stand, but do have a rear stand, use that, then put a small little scissor jack or floor jack right behind the header/ ehaust exchange. it should be stable enough with that, however after reading to tire explanation, if I had an extra full size tire laying around, I might be tempted to try that also....and to totally agree with everyone the frame slider way is a good route too...

spdrmns 03-06-2008 11:11 PM

hang straps from the roof (i used garage door rail).. easy as that.. strap em to your clip ons..

i would test the strength of what ever you hang it from first just to make sure... lol..

ReSpEcT 03-06-2008 11:46 PM

Got a buddy who drives a tow truck. Suspended the bike in air from the neck with some huga azz tow straps.....And it worked great...=-)