General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you Paint a CBR Glossy Black????

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you Paint a CBR Glossy Black????

I just primered my CBR 02 where do I go from here?? Anyone with any experience on how to gat a clean glossy black paint??

Old 07-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Default RE: How do you Paint a CBR Glossy Black????

I just sold an F2 that had a nice laquer black paint-job. We primed it with 3m, then used a quart of dupont triple black I think was the name of it...and sprayed it. We used a make-shift setup in the garage, a booth made from bisquine(SP) you know, that heavy clear tarp stuff, and hung the parts and srayed with a gun. Then applied the decals, then the clear coat. After it dried and set for a day or two, I wet-sanded with 1000 grit and buffed it out with 3m fine cut. I was going to put on another clear coat originally, but I was satisfied with the results of just one coat, plus, wet sanding is a pain in the ***.

I tried to include a picture but I'm computer illiterate! Anyhow, turned out really nice! Good luck!

Old 07-13-2006, 05:23 PM

You want to start by sanding the primmer, I like to lightly coat it with black spray paint. Use 500 grit wet and a sanding block were pos. The Black spray paint is only to show any imperfections in the body work before you proceed. When completed you wwant to blow the parts off and clean them with a good cleaner any auto paint supply store will carry what you need. use a tach cloth to wipe the parts down thouroughly. You are then ready to seal the parts. The psi you use will be determined by the paint you are using and the supplier should be able to answer any of these questions. you then have a choice base/ clear or a single stage paint which has clear coat included. For a solid color its really up to you.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:39 PM

this isnt a very easy process im suprised no one has said this to you. this will involve a lot of sanding and a steady hand you also need a piant gun use a gravity feed a good gun isnt cheep. also u need dryers on your air line a little bit of water will turn to a lot of orange peal. its important to make sure all your surfaces are clean. you also want to paint in the lowest humitity you can stay out of the sun and make sure its a cool day. also the conners are the most vuanerable places you should put and exta coal on any edges

Old 07-13-2006, 09:47 PM

Black is the hardest color to paint, keep that in mind.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:13 PM

Send me your fairings. I'll take care of it.

Old 07-15-2006, 10:07 PM

I have a 2003 CBR 600RR and the bottom of the bike was a flat grey and I wanted to paint it glossy black to match the rest of the bike. I wet sanded it with 600 grit and then went to my local auto paint store and they gave me some SEM plastic paint out of a BOMB can. They also gave me some plactic Adhesion Promoter and just followed the directions on the can. I also used some tack cloth to get rid of any dust on the pieces. After the Plastic Adhesion promoter dried I painted the part black. Then I got a can of clear top coat and put about 3 coats of that on as well. After it all dried I wetsanded it with 2000 grit wetsand paper and then buffed it out. It looks like a piece of glass. It has been on for about a year and it still looks great. No paint gun was used!!!