General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I repair a slow leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Mad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I repair a slow leak?

I have a slow leak in my rear tire. Question is can I spray some of that "tire seal" stuff into the rear tire to repair it without worry? I only lose a couple of PSI every couple of days.

I have begun to check it every day or so and it is not that bad but still annoying. I did notice that my rim is bent (from where they accessed the rim to remove the old tire) and I know it was caused by the shop. They say "sorry" it's not guaranteed. I believe that is what is causing my problems. I might bite it and buy a new rear rim but that puts me behind on my other mods I want to buy.

Any other suggestions on how I can cheaply and safely fix this until I have the funds for a new rim? Thanks...

Old 08-30-2006, 12:35 AM
Default RE: How do I repair a slow leak?

Please do not put any of that liquid sealing sh** in your tires. Not only does it make a huge mess for whoever is going to be eventually replacing that tire in the future, it doesn't do a very good job in the first place. If you only want to fix your tire and not replace it (replacing is highly recommended over patching) you will have to plug it. Almost everyone on this forum is going to say you can't plug a motorcycle tire, but if you are not a very aggresive rider, and the hole is close to the center of the tread and away from the sidewall, a good plugging job can last the rest of the tire's life. I have personally seen a well-installed plug last for 3+ thousand miles until the tire needed changing. And whatever shop you went to the first time, don't go to them again. Any decent shop should have a pneumatic/electric tire changing machine that doesn't use leverage to remove tires. Also, a slightly bent rim doesn't usually cause air leaks. Chances are that you have a very small hole that you can't see that was caused by something as small as a staple that is allowing the air to leak out. Get a mixture of 1 part dishwashing soap to 10 parts water and put it into a spray bottle. Coat the entire tire tread all the way around and look for small air bubbles forming. This will be where your slow leak is. Don't forget the valve in the rim. The valve core sometimes isn't installed correctly or may be corroded which can also allow air to leak past the sealing plastic. Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 AM
Mad

It sure does help. I already know I won't be going back to the same shop. Thank you...

Old 08-30-2006, 08:03 AM

Man it's your life they are playing with, if they bent the rim you should insist they replace it. I'm sure they would have liability insurance that covers them against mistakes..and don't take NO for an answer