General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Home Moto Security, chains, locks, boat anchors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Home Moto Security, chains, locks, boat anchors?

Just moved into a single family home with the girlfriend. It's in a real quiet neighborhood but still on the outskirts of Baltimore, with a high bike crime rate. I have a nice long driveway but no garage, shed, or carport. . My winter plans are to ramp up the bike right through the front door and into the kitchen, (girlfriend not thrilled with the idea, but she got to paint the kitchen whatever color she wanted).

Anyways what I DO have is a nice solid steel porch on the side of the house to chain the bike to. And a Dowco heavy duty cover. I already have a portable 3/4 inch steel cable lock, but am looking for something much heavier, non-portable too. So only for security while the bike is at home base. I've been looking at these chain locks on ebay, and kryptonite locks, but have heard they arn't the most secure, pricey, and easily hackable...

I know we got some pretty creative characters on this forum and was wondering what you guys are doing for that extra piece of mind??

Last edited by Sick97SS; 10-08-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever seen the old movie "congo"? Mini guns on tripods with motion active lasor sensors? Might be good

Do you own or rent? I'd rather spend some bucks to get it 'out of sight" and get a shed and chain the crap out of it inside than have it in my kitchen.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:26 AM

lol Congo. I though you were gonna say get your own attack gorilla to guard the bike. But I don't wanna have to clean up gorilla **** around my house.

I definately own the house, and the mortgage is the reason I cant get a shed right now, (lack of $$$). But I just got some nice stands and it's either the kitchen or the family room for the cold months. I wanna eat my coco puffs and stare at the f4i in january.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM

Imo, indoors is your best bet til you can get a better option. Out of the weather, out of sight for passersby. Sounds like you've already greased the wheels with the wifey, so you're golden!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Indoors for the winter only. So i figure i got a month or two left of riding. Once it gets in the house it's not coming out until spring. But for everyday outdoor security I still need some thick chains and was wondering what you guys have been using.

AND GIRLFRIEND, not wifey!! i know, i know, we just bought a house with both names on the mortgage. but im stll touchy on the wife terminology.

Last edited by Sick97SS; 10-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Well, in my opinion, no security device can stop a thief. I had 2 hondas stolen this year. My F4i in March and then my 05 cbr 600rr in May. The F4i was stolen in a gated apartment complex under a car port. The 600rr was stolen from the same place, but I had put an alarm system (scorpion, i think was the brand), two disc brake locks, steering column lock (stock) and chained it to a concrete pillar with 1" steel cable. Bastards still got it. Drained the battery with some high powered magnet the cops said to disable the alarm. Immediately after that, I moved to a home with a garage and got another 600rr. Now I will not trust any other security device other then my garage. If they want it bad enough, they will get it. I do like the mini gun idea though. I often thought about putting a chain link fence around it and electrifying i the fence with 6 or 7 car batteries or something like that.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Have you looked into renting a storage space at a u-store-it, U-Haul storage, or something like that. I have no idea what they run as I have never been in the market but that might be a good option to keep it locked up indoors without keeping it your kitchen which make the lady friend happy.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Rotor locks, bar locks, wheel locks are worthless if they (one or two guys) can pickup the bike. I'm looking for some super thick chain & lock that would take some heavy powertools and time to cut through. Not just bolt cutters. My cable lock is thick but a heavy cutter would snap it like a toothpick.

This is what i fear the most:
Bike gone in 5 seconds, in broad daylight!!
http://bikerpunks.com/mediaviewer/15...portbike-.html

Last edited by Sick97SS; 10-08-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

I drilled and anchored some rebar loops into the cement in my parking lot, and spent the $$$ on a carbon fiber "chain" that I run through the frame. Get one of those security locks that you can't use bolt cutters on. No, it is not perfect, but absolutley nothing is. The idea is to make it known that taking the bike is going to require a lot more time (and noise) than is safe to spend on it, and scare off the thieves.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was about to suggest the rebar in the driveway myself. As for locks, go to a locksmith and ask for recommendations. I've seen some locks at my local locksmith that look like it'd take nuclear weapons to break. Forget cutting the lock itself

Quick Reply: Home Moto Security, chains, locks, boat anchors?