General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole in the crankcase and Warranty info

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hole in the crankcase and Warranty info

Hey guys so apologies if this is in the wrong spot, point me to the right place.

My bike is a used 2015 600rr. I got it with 2k miles on it, put on 2k of my own.

I was riding the other day, nothing too serious, when I saw another biker ahead of me. The road was clear, so I downshifted and sped up to ride along with him. As I am approaching, it feels like my bike slipped out of gear and went into neutral. I look out the mirror and there is smoke coming out of my bike, so I pull off to the side and notice that there is oil leaking as well... great. Also my chain is missing.

So I get it back to my garage and notice there is a big hole in the crank case, right above where the stator cover is. Looks like the water pump is a bit smashed as well but there was no coolant leaking. The front chain protector was in place and doesn't look like the chain could have gone past it.

So I know my engine is f'd and I'm unsure what to do here. Called honda, they confirmed my bike is under "extended warranty" with the previous owner, just have to get the dealership to transfer it over. Called the dealership, they say it will be about $600 to even diag the issue!!! before they can say it is covered or not.

What would you guys do here? I have a feeling the dealership will try their hardest to deny my claim and I really don't want to go through insurance here...

here's a pic you can see the top of the hole right in front of the sprocket...

Old 11-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Here's a video of the hole in question...

Old 11-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Did you go back and get the chain so you can inspect it? It's obviously the chain that caused the issue. If they can prove that the failure was caused by neglect on your part, they may deny the claim. Do you have any service records on the chain?

The dealership should be on your side of things. They want to fix it. They want to get paid.... The extended warranty is through an insurance company.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Obviously not a defect they made therefor they will not cover the issue. Don't waste your money. I was a service writer for Honda for a couple years. Unless you have the broken chain to show its in perfect shape they will claim it wasn't maintained causing the break.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Did you go back and get the chain so you can inspect it? It's obviously the chain that caused the issue. If they can prove that the failure was caused by neglect on your part, they may deny the claim. Do you have any service records on the chain?

The dealership should be on your side of things. They want to fix it. They want to get paid.... The extended warranty is through an insurance company.
Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Obviously not a defect they made therefor they will not cover the issue. Don't waste your money. I was a service writer for Honda for a couple years. Unless you have the broken chain to show its in perfect shape they will claim it wasn't maintained causing the break.

OK so I was quick thinking and went and got my chain from the road https://i.imgur.com/U9cVLTz.jpg

It's a bit scuffed up I think some body ran it over... Master link is missing tho... Any thoughts?

Old 11-06-2018, 08:37 PM

What type of master link was it? Clip or rivet? Was it a chain you or the PO installed or factory?

Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
What type of master link was it? Clip or rivet? Was it a chain you or the PO installed or factory?
It was riveted on, unsure about if it was PO or factory.