General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here it goes.. lovely questions I keep forgetting to ask my local dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here it goes.. lovely questions I keep forgetting to ask my local dealer

So I have a 06 CBR 600 F4i and I've had a list of questions I've been meaning to ask.. but I need a non bi-est opinion.

1. My bike is relatively close of in needing a new chain.. dealership around here (star city motorsports) quoted me 98.99 for a chain... I was reading around and saw that a good chain runs around 100 bucks so I'm confident that it would be a good chain.. but I also found chains on ebay for 45-60 bucks.. question is.. are these chains good chains or bad chains? Should I save the money and buy one off ebay or cough it up and pay star city?

2. I've always like doing upgrades to my toys so naturally my bike is going to be another one. What kind of upgrades are there out there? Not necessary engine mods electrical/internal/external but cosmetic mods as well or other mods that look nice or just make it a better ride yada yada yada. Just any ideas would be wonderful.. I'd like to make this bike even nicer and better looking.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2012, 01:26 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Usually we replace in set, chain and sprockets F/R....

If you are going OEM gearing, make sure chain & sprockets is reputable name brand. Something like DID, Regina, RK, Driven...likely it's cheaper to buy in set.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Ah I see. I have checked the sprockets and they have all their teeth and are still pointed. Unless sprocket kits are not much higher than just the chain I suppose I'd so all 3

Old 05-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

if the teeth are sharp, replace the sprockets. if not, its up to you. most recommend doing them together, but i have done chain onlys as well as kits. get a good chain, it's a pretty important component.

as far as cosmetic mods go, look through https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f4...our-f4-118235/ for some ideas and inspiration.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest also when reading threads to look at peoples signatures as alot of them (Myself included) list mods there, If something catches your eye, PM them and ask them about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:42 PM

Ok, question for you. Your blue LED gauges... did you do the solder in kind? If so how bad was it to install? I found a set on ebay for 12 bucks nd I'd like to swap my gauges over to blue. let me kno

Old 05-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro
Ok, question for you. Your blue LED gauges... did you do the solder in kind? If so how bad was it to install? I found a set on ebay for 12 bucks nd I'd like to swap my gauges over to blue. let me kno
Here is a full How-to I did when I did mine. https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...luster-119967/

If you follow the links in How-to, There are links for the LED's, they are $0.33 each so they may be cheaper then ebay.

If you know how to solder and desolder it isn't very hard, But desoldering is definitely the hardest part.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:00 PM

You definately want to go with a quality chain and sprocket set. The main reason you replace as a set is because all three items wear together. If you introduce a new part in the system and the other parts are used, they will cause each other to wear out faster.

it doesn't really matter where you buy your stuff. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay, but always buy from repuatable sellers, which are usually dealers anyway. I've always run DID chains. I've ran sprocket specialties and vortex sprockets. I had good luck with both. My last set I bought on ebay which was a DID X ring chain with Sprocket specialties sprockets. I think it was around 140 for the set. It was a 530 set.

If you do any night time riding, I'd suggest finding a good source for HID bi-xenon projector headlights. They make a pretty big difference. As long as you get the projectors, you don't have to worry about blinding people. They also look pretty good too.

If you know how to solder and desolder it isn't very hard, But desoldering is definitely the hardest part.
Just thought I'd share something I've done in the past. If you go to just about any pharmacy, they sell ear cleaning kits. Basically, they look like mini turkey baster ends. They are meant to fill with water and push water into your ears. But, if you depress them then let go, they create a suction. They have a small hole that is just right to suck up molten solder. If you get the solder molten then put the depressed ear thing over it and let it go, it will suck up all of the solder. They also sell solder removing guns which is the same concept but attached directly to the gun, but this works in a pinch.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 AM

Thanks for the info.
As far as the sprocket/chain goes I think I might look for a set instead. That's a very valid point as to the chain/sprockets wearing together and have a specific wear pattern to themselves. I've seen the (this part wears out this one faster) in many cases given to the fact that working on engines (small and large) and hasstayed true in all cases. Its the same way with engine internals.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:54 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great, keep us posted on progress..post some pics too

Quick Reply: Here it goes.. lovely questions I keep forgetting to ask my local dealer