General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with troubleshooting PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013 | 10:59 AM
|
Default help with troubleshooting PLEASE

The facts : I have a 2004 honda cbr 600 F4I .

I was riding my bike the other day for about 3-5 hours with a friend of mine , When we decided to stop for a bit . So I turned my bike off and we sat and talked for about 10 mins or so . Then I went to start it up and there was nothing when I turned the key ( no lights , no dashlights , horn NOTHING ) . So we took the battery out of my friends bike and put it in mine . The key turns on lights , dash lights , ect ect . Then I try to start it it only cranks over but wont start ... So I had the battery checked out and they say its good and holds a charge . any ideas on where to look now ??? thank you

Old 02-04-2013 | 02:03 PM

Hi. Bit of a mystery to say the least. I was going to say it was a connection problem between the battery and the ignition switch, as I had the same problem when I owned a 1980 BMW R100RT. I was travelling up the M5 from Plymouth and the engine just cut out as I was about to move over to the middle lane. To cut a long story short, the RAC guy found dirty contacts in the starter relay connector, cleaned them up with emery paper and I was away in less the 15 minutes. However, the fact that your friend's battery at least brought some life into the electrics possibly rules the problem I had out in your case. It might be worth charging your battery up overnight and see if that helps or it might just be a faulty starter motor not spinning up fast enough. They take a lot of voltage out of the battery not leaving enough for a good enough spark at the plugs. Check all the ignition connections from battery to starter and ignition switch for dirty/loose connections. Let us know how you get on and keep posting.

Old 02-07-2013 | 02:45 PM

Hey, whats the word? Did you figure out what it was? If you still dont have it fixed, take a look at upper harness connector. If im not mistaken its a big gray one behind the cluster. It could be a ground wire as well. Let us know when you figure it out, and what the problem was. Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2013 | 07:45 AM
|

I have been very busy at work right now ... im going to try to start looking at stuff this tuesday . I will start with both of your guys ideas .

I will keep you guys updated .

thanks again for your help

Old 02-08-2013 | 06:42 PM

i'm experiencing the same with my 900rr just did some electrical stuff with it now something is shorting the battery. have you done anything with the wiring of the bike lately?

Old 02-09-2013 | 10:19 AM
|

Originally Posted by cam and corona
i'm experiencing the same with my 900rr just did some electrical stuff with it now something is shorting the battery. have you done anything with the wiring of the bike lately?
No not at all

Old 02-16-2013 | 10:11 PM
|

Ok here is an update : I went out to try to start my bike again ( It was charged to 13.6) ... fliped the key on ( everything fine ) hit the starter button and it killed my battery to the point where it was just clicking in 3-5 seconds .

Im thinking I should go to another store to have them check the battery again .

Any other ideas here ??

Old 02-16-2013 | 10:14 PM
|

Also as some side info I charged the battery and left the key OFF and run button OFF . Charged it to 13.6 again and it droped to 12.08 in 25 mins ( I NEVER turned the key on ). There is something going on here but im not sure what it is

Old 02-16-2013 | 11:39 PM

Simple electrical draw test: with a fully charged battery, disconnect the negative from the terminal. Place any 12v light bulb in the circuit via alligator clips. If the light lights up, you have a draw somewhere. Start pulling fuses and when the light goes out, the circuit that has the draw has been found. Good luck. My F3 has the same problem, it nukes a good battery and starts clicking in seconds.

Old 02-17-2013 | 04:48 PM
|

UPDATE #2: Went and had the battery checked again ( wouldnt even load test , thats how bad it was ) . Took the NEW battery home and put it in and tried to start it again , this time it will crank but no fire (the battery dose not run dead now ) . So I sprayed some starter fluid in the air intake , and it wanted to fire up but didnt.

Any ideas from here ? thank you in advance for alll your help

Quick Reply: help with troubleshooting PLEASE