General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Too much oil, now it stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Too much oil, now it stalls out

What's up guys-new to the forum specifically to see if anyone out there can help out with this issue.

2001 F4i-
So what happen was-last season we had a great break in weather after a snow storm I rushed to do an oil change and just found out today-I forgot to take the drain plug out and only drained the oil from the oil filter. I know f**k me right? (Just had the bike custom painted and never got the chance to ride-this is what happens when you rush) So this season pulled her out, started up great went for a small ride around town with no issues. Then after riding maybe 10 miles from cruising speeds to 120ish still no problems, I get off into local traffic took a turn and shifted and bam lost power and the bike started to not respond when I hit the throttle and slowly died out as if it was out of gas. I looked down and my left shoe and the entire bike from my feet back was COVERED in oil. Looks like some oil came out around the shifter to the drain plug but its hard to tell since the chain shot the oil everywhere. I checked my oil levels and pulled the bike to level and oil came dripping out so it was still overfilled after having oil all over the ground. Took her home pulled the fairings off and drained out my oil as a buddy said sounds like you put way to much oil in and it will most likely end up in the air box. After putting the correct amount of oil in and cleaning it up the engine starts-runs a little rougher then before, but as soon as I hit the throttle it dies out. I opened the air box the oil filter looks pretty clean considering, there was no signs of oil in the air box.

So my question is-anyone know another area I need to be checking to see where this excess oil is?
Also I know chances are something will need to be replaced-any clues what may be causing the engine to die out when using the throttle?

Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM

You'll have to clarify a little about how you half-assed the oil change last time.. Did you remove the filter (therefore draining it) and still put in several quarts of oil afterward?

You'd be best off to check and see where all the oil came from... Even if it was overfilled severely it shouldn't leak out anywhere but the PCV, which usually goes into the air box like your friend said. But it would take a crazy amount of oil for it to be pushed up that far. Usually oil only ends up in the air box when the bike has been rolled over.

Check your drain plug and seals. Clean it up and see if it leaks anymore. Also check the oil filter seal, sometimes the old seal sticks on and you don't notice until you start it and it leaks everywhere.

I'd say it running bad is a coincidence. Lack of lubrication causes mechanical failures, which are usually pretty evident.

I'm not familiar with the fuel system on FI bikes. Check the filter for water or debris, and verify that the fuel pump is working. If it's been sitting water and sediment will collect at the lowest point in the tank, and get sucked in right away.

Last edited by MrGiggles; 04-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM

MrGiggles-
Yes I took the oil filter off draining only a portion of the oil, the main res. where the drain plug is located was untouched until this season. And I have had oil go into my air box before from riding too many wheelies-or so I was told by the mechanic.The oil did not come from the oil filter as it was the only clean area on the bike besides the passenger side. Ill do some more cleaning today and see, as far as the fuel pump goes I am sure it works I just had the tank painted and we replaced the fuel pump last season. It still comes on great and starts right up it just almost feels like its out of gas by the throttle response.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 PM

If you put in too much oil, it cuts down on this air space and increases the engines internal pressure. This can cause an engine to smoke or blow out oil through the seals and/or engine breather. Maybe the plugs are now oiled up, worth a check.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM

Just thought maybe the plug is still in the breather the mark1 cbrfk has one, taking it out and letting it drain might help?

Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Pull a plug and see what it looks like. Any smoke when you were getting it to start up?

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 PM

Alright guys just wanted to say thank you for your input!

Turns out that after draining all the oil and putting new gas in it the bike runs great but it was still shooting oil somewhere by the shifter. Last year the stator cover was replaced and the guy who painted it also put the cover on, well turns out that the gromet that holds the wires that go into the stator cover was not seated right causing the oil to come out of that area.

Thanks again for your quick responses!