General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! PLEASE..gauge cluster out. F4I

Old 12-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! PLEASE..gauge cluster out. F4I

2002 CBR 600 FRI
i have a cracked rim.
took the rim and tire off.... looked at it and put it back on the bike.

did not bolt the brakes in all the way and i did not put the bushings back in the bike when i did it because i am just going to take it right back off when i get a new rim.

BUT as i went to move it. i noticed the gauge cluster would not light up or turn on when i started the bike.....?????

i press the brake lever and boom. it comes up and all the lights and everything just like it would normal. i let go of the brake lever and everything goes back blank.....

fuses looked ok... did not trust it. so i put all brand new fuses in there.

could it be that i have not put the bushings and the brakes all back together?( this bike can not be that smart?)

it worked before i took the front tire off... just amazing.?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP!! PLEASE..gauge cluster out. F4I

you have some kind of a short somewhere. it worked when you touch the brake lever, which is completing a circuit for the brake light, so something in that system is shorting out somewhere.

did you just get this bike? or have you had it and its been crashed? whats the deal? this information will play a part in diagnosing the problem.

Its not uncommon to find used bikes with ghettoed wiring that has been spliced or cut, or modified in some way by someone for some reason.