General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help please! bike fell over in grass

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please! bike fell over in grass

So I parked my 99 CBR F4 on the edge of my driveway, It rained overnight and when I went out in the morning, the kickstand had slid past the edge of the driveway and sunk into the grass causing the bike toSLOWLY fall over. So the bike was on its Left side. I picked it up, gave ita few minutes and then tried to start it.

The bike tried to turn over for a second and then just stopped and would make a single or double clicking sound when I press the ignition.

I thought that maybe oil filled the starter cover and soaked the starter. I took off the starter cover and a lot of oil came out. Keep in mind the bike was on its kickstand when i did this so it was leaned to the left(the side of the starter).

I Tried to Jump start it as well. This had no effect on anything.

Does anybody have any ideas???

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: help please! bike fell over in grass

That really sucks!! At least it was an easy let down onto the left side. I' not as familar with the F4 as I am with the F3 but I do know there shouldn't be oil in the starter. I would take the starter apart and clean it with electrical cleaner really good. When you're done and have reassemble the starter, test it (outdside of the bike) with your bike battery by just taking some wire and attaching it to the correct poles. On the F3, the casing is ground (-) and the pole where portruding from the case is positive and I am this is the same scenario for the F4. Do not use a car battery because they put out WAY too much amperage. Another thing, make sureyou have the motor secured or it's gunna do a little dance if it isn't secured (I'm thinking positively that it'll work when you get it back together ).

Old 10-10-2007, 12:36 PM

I removed the starter cover and cleaned it out... It still wouldnt start... so i hit the damn ignition button about a million more times hearing nothin but a click, then suddenly it turned over. I got it running, it was smoking alot... smelled like coolant or oilburning off in the exhaust... ran it for about ten mins... and it didnt have the power above 4000 RPMS like it used to.... after about 5 more mins the bike started runnin great... back to normal...
Thanks for your help!

Old 10-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ok time out.....

you mean you took off thestator cover ? in that case it is perfectly normal for oil to be in with the stator .

Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 PM

may have flooded one of the cylinders with something and cause it to hydrolock. Enough pushing of the button will eventually push the cylinder enough to get a valve to crack open and release the pressure

Old 10-11-2007, 01:34 AM

+1 on that and prob the reason low power is it was still trying to get all the extra fuel out of # 1 cylinder. you should be fine.
Get a kickstand pad I have one in each bike.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:56 PM

I only read the first two posts.
Push start the bike. Get your sexy to drive down the street while you hold on. Use of the passenger window frame ( window down)That way you can tell her to take off slower next time.