General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed

Hi all new here and looking for an anser to a problem.
CBR 600 1997, dragged it out of the garage today as i have not started it for a while. Whilst turning over i noticed petrol running out bottom of fairing.
First thought was a split hose, had some time on my hands so off came the plastic bit by bit. to cut a long story short petrol is coming out of a hose that is by the gear shift connected to a little filter that also has two larger hoses one of whitch gose to the solanoied by the air box and the other to the front air intake ( i think). these being all air intake related why the petrol.

Any thoughs please

Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help Needed

Not really sure why its happening, but if the filter is wot I think it is, then its the in line petrol filter.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

Not really sure why its happening, but if the filter is wot I think it is, then its the in line petrol filter.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Carbs need to be cleaned!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:01 PM

If petrol is getting into air system, how would a carb clean help?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:29 PM

Well the carb has the air going through it.. the air comes from the air filter.. it could be getting overflowed and fuel is going wherever it can, which would be the intake.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:41 PM

ln line petrol filter how would this let petrol into the air system

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: thisismyacct

Well the carb has the air going through it.. the air comes from the air filter.. it could be getting overflowed and fuel is going wherever it can, which would be the intake.
The petrol is flowing out very fast when it fires up, then the engine dies after about 25 seconds.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 AM

I think what is being said is that if the carbs are overflowing with gas, the next logical place for the gas to go is the airbox as they are connected to the airbox..

Also, if your carbs are dirty, the floats will not beable to shut the gas off to them all the way as the needle will not seat all the way. This may be another issue.

this is my guess.... only a guess..

You parked your bike in the garage. the petock was left on and your floats are dirty in the carbs. This allowed gas to fill into your engine through the carbs. Your crankcase is full of gas and when you fire it up, it starts, but do to the excess amount of fuel in your crankcase, it is pushing fuel into your airbox through the crankcase vent, that also leads into your airbox.

Your next step should be remove your airbox and fire it up. .. also, check your oil level. If its overfull.... then thats your problem.

Or like said already. You may have a stuck carb. It is pushing too much gas though.. the engine cant take it all in and in this process, the gas is pushed back into the airbox.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:31 AM

ORIGINAL: justasquid

I think what is being said is that if the carbs are overflowing with gas, the next logical place for the gas to go is the airbox as they are connected to the airbox..

Also, if your carbs are dirty, the floats will not beable to shut the gas off to them all the way as the needle will not seat all the way. This may be another issue.

this is my guess.... only a guess..

You parked your bike in the garage. the petock was left on and your floats are dirty in the carbs. This allowed gas to fill into your engine through the carbs. Your crankcase is full of gas and when you fire it up, it starts, but do to the excess amount of fuel in your crankcase, it is pushing fuel into your airbox through the crankcase vent, that also leads into your airbox.

Your next step should be remove your airbox and fire it up. .. also, check your oil level. If its overfull.... then thats your problem.

Or like said already. You may have a stuck carb. It is pushing too much gas though.. the engine cant take it all in and in this process, the gas is pushed back into the airbox.

The fuel that is running out is clear so i dont think from the crankcase. Will report back later. Thank you all.

Quick Reply: Help Needed