General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 96 cbr 600 breaking up

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP 96 cbr 600 breaking up

ORIGINAL: bcouncill

i agree it should have a fuel pump but it ran without so i think that it is something else none the less i am going to get one to eliminate that as a possible cause

oh and the problem happens when trying to cruise say at like 40 i have tried to ride in 4th 5th and 6th all the same problem so it dosent matter what the rpms are.... now if i get on is say through 1st 2nd and 3rd it seams to be ok....

thanks again guys i am going to work on it tomorrow ill let u guys know
In that case, how is your air filter? My 650 would crap out at about 5000 rpms, (50-55mph). Finally figured that my factory stock airbox was too restrictive with the new pipes and muffler. I ditched the cover and it runs great.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 PM

The suspense is killing us...Your tommorow was days ago. What did you find?

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM

sry guys i got a chance to work on it after cleaning the carbs and puttin on new carb holders it wont start now it........[:@]

it has spark i checked all of the plugs and the wires the plugs are fowled so i am going to replace them soon

i am ordering a new fuel pump as soon as i can afford it

i checked the kill switch and the rec wires and both seem to be fine. now dont get me wrong this thing has some wires that are not plugged in seeing as how there is no gauge cluster on the bike but all of the wires going to the kill switch and the rec are ok

so i am completly and otterly stumped!!!! i am a teck at a local tires plus and this freaking thing has me stumped so if u guys would continue to help that would be awesome thanks again

Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 PM

Are you just bypassing the fuel pump right now? meaning running the fuel from the tank straight to the carbs?

It may take some priming to get the fuel into the bowls. Im not sure that the fuel will push the air out of the carbs and fill the carbs without pressure from the pump initially. Once the air is out, the fuel can continue in. this is actually pretty unlikely, but it is a possibility.

how far did you take it apart to clean the carbs?

If you removed your pilot jets, ( the ones on the outside of the carb) and just put them back in, that may be your problem. they should be around 1 and a half turns out. Hopefully you didnt just pull them out as they are synced. Sometimes, you can count how many turns out each one is and put them back in and be ok. But each carb will be slightly different. the 1 and half turns out is just a starting point.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM

ok i am planning on syncing the carbs on my next day off i kno a guy that has a sync tool one question is dose it have to run to sync the carbs?

i dont think i took those screws out but i had a friend helping me and i think he was messing with them so i am going to check that out to i think he set them at 2 turns if i rember corectly

i will let u kno thanks again for ur help guys

Old 01-06-2009, 01:25 PM

anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Still nothing?

Check your plugs, are they flooded? (wet with gas) Are they gapped right? Do they spark? If everything is good squirt a little gas in the cylinders and give it a whirl. It should try to spark.

I hate to say it, but if you took the carbs apart they might be so out of adjustment that it won't run. Dig out your FSM and set everything to spec.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:27 PM

i think the guy that was helping me turned the adj screw to 2 1/2 so i am going to check that and i know that the plugs are fouled now so i am going to check that next time i work on it

i will let u know thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM

hell yes i got it going went for a short ride and the problem seems to be gone

i think it is still now quite right i will be messing with it as much as possible thanks again guys i really really appreciate it

Old 01-10-2009, 11:02 PM

ok well i rode it today and it did the same thing again only this time it stalled!!!!! man this is really gettin to me

Quick Reply: HELP 96 cbr 600 breaking up