General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help

ORIGINAL: CBRclassic

Hmmmmm ?
5 pages and it was only the idle screw turned right out hu? ..... hmmmm?

I would run if I were you my friend ...

BTW...I would think 3000 rpm idle may be a touch high mate
come on now man. [:-] its my first bike and i have only had it like a week. I appreciate all of your patience anyone who hepled. These five pages werent a waste. I have learned a boatload.

yah 3k is as low as i can get the screw without it falling out and that thing is a major wrist ache to get lined back up.

I am wondering though while i have your attention lol

My questions will now begin:

Why is there one gear lower than neutral then up into neut then first?

I got confused at a stop sign today and made myself look like a complete id because i killed my bike looking for first.

What are the best techniques for stop and go besides keeping track of what gear i am in?

Should i flow through the gears when i downshift or should i jump straight from 3rd into first after slowing down coming up to a light?

That extra gear. WTF

Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 AM

Why is there one gear lower than neutral then up into neut then first? I got confused at a stop sign today and made myself look like a complete id because i killed my bike looking for first. What are the best techniques for stop and go besides keeping track of what gear i am in? Should i flow through the gears when i downshift or should i jump straight from 3rd into first after slowing down coming up to a light?

Im a bit confused by your comments. you dont have an extra gear. From neutral.. 1 down is first, one up is second, two up is third...and so on.

First gear is easy to find, its all the way down. when you come up to a stop sign, just before you stop, you should shift into first. I usually pop it into neutral if I know its going to be a long stop, but for the most part, I keep it in gear. Also, I usually will down shift if I have time, if I dont, I pull in the clutch and while I'm braking, I will down shift through the gears into first.

3,000 rpms is way too high. Something must not be correct with your setup. The bike can run at 3,000 rpms while the choke is on and it is warming up, but it should go back to 12-1500 rpms once its warmed up.

You dont have the choke left on do you? that would make the bike run high rpms and also make the bike run very rich and potentially stall it.

seeing as this is your first bike. You do know to choke it initially, then unchoke it once it warms up for a minute or two right?

Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Aha! So between first and second is neut?

All the way down= first
One up= neutral
2 up= second

.... so forth

Okay choke. Check ✔

Yep i wasnt adjusting that.
[&:]
Lol classic.... I am not sure i am okay mate.

@squid: Petcock : explain please. I thought that was something i used to do when i was a teenager [X(]

Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Endless

Aha! So between first and second is neut?

All the way down= first
One up= neutral
2 up= second

Yes, when you ride away in first ..you use one fluid motion and go straight up through neutral and into second, its not two clicks ..it will go straight into second from first by simply shifting straight up :-)

Jules

Old 11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude, sign up early for a MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course near you. Generally runs 3 days and is $50 or less. You will learn a lot about riding in those 3 days ... especially different exercises you can practice on your own that will make you a much better rider. Also, if you pass most states will take the completion certificate and give you your very own motorcycle endorsement on your license.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 PM

I have been directed to the MSF before as well. I am sure i will indulge in it. Thank you.

And thanx jules for the clue in on the gears. I was confused about that.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 PM

@squid: Petcock : explain please. I thought that was something i used to do when i was a teenager [X(]
your petcock is the valve that turns your gas on and off and also to your reserve. They can sometimes become clogged and not flow gas. there is a long tubular screen inside the tank that is attatched to your petcock that can sometimes become gunked up. just offering another possibility... but it sounds like you got it running.