General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help

Got an 03 954, did a valve lash adjustment put bike back together and left 2 cylinders dont run? Checked everything spark plugs,cam timing,coils and coil connection,pulser, rotated cams 180 degrees same problem? (does that make sense) No flashing codes when everything is plugged in. Any reason 2 injectors would not fire? Goin to study wire diagram, If any can help, thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned
Default RE: Help

You rotated your cams 180 degrees, free of the crank? Seems to meyou wouldn't even get combustion that way... unless I'm missing something the lobes of the cam would have valves open when they should be shut - possibly causing damage to the piston and/or valve but maybe I'm misunderstanding.

If you hadn't had an injector problem before (and assuming you didn't remove the fuel rail when checking lash), there shouldn't be one now, probably the injectors are doing their job but the cylinder isn't going to combust if valves are open when the plug fires.

Sounds to me like the the timing is off. I know you said you checked the timing but why you rotated the cam is throwing me off. Do you mean you just rotated the engine via the crankshaft or did you literally remove the cam gear from the timing chain, rotate the cam and re-seat it into the timing chain? If that's the case, as long as your off-time rotating the engine won't matter, it should only allow you to see the the crank and the cam are not in time.

I don't know - maybe I'm confused... [&:]

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Default left 2 cylinders wont fire?

I rotated crankshaft 360 degrees on the T mark wich would rotate the cams 180 degrees. I was told this was a common mistake after removing cams. I had cam lobes on #1 cylinder facing inwards starting the intake stroke, I turned the cam lobes so they were facing out changin that cylinder to the compressing stroke lining up cam markings flush with the cylinder head. Still not sure if thats the reason my left 2 cylinders were not runing, but it must not have been cuase nothing changed. Compression is good all around, and yes i was very careful makin sure i wasnt goin to hit any valves with pistons ouch!!
Basically dont understand how 2 left cylinders dont fire after checkin damn near everything, but computer

Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Banned
Default RE: left 2 cylinders wont fire?

Man I'm stumped, buddy.

Someone help this guy out!

Well, I guess if you've got spark and compression... then it very well could be the injectors but I don't see how a problem with the injectors would just pop up. Even so, assuming your electrical system is operating normally you should have absolutely thrown a MIL (blinks 12-15 on the 929's).

I had a problem that I couldn't track down once - I ended up disassembling the 929 to find it. Was a simple mistake, forgot to plug something back in.

Well, sorry I couldn't be of much help, you've stumped me good. Someone surely will be along shortly - good luck buddy, let us know if anything changes.