General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat on the rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat on the rear wheel

I noticed a ticking noise coming from the rear wheel when I parked it the other day. I'd never heard it before so I laid my hand on the hub and spoke part of the rear wheel and it was hot. (or super warm) Anyway, I laid my hand on the same part on the front wheel and its cool. It worries me now that I may have a bearing problem. Does anyone know if this is normal on an 07 1Krr?

Old 04-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

could be normal, I never felt mine after a ride lol. Put it on a stand n free wheel it n see if you hear anything abnormal or if they're is any excessive play.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM

I just did that........... It all seems OK. I think I'll take it for another ride and see what happens.....

Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM

I've never noticed. I'll hafta check next time I ride.

But I wonder if the sprocket has anything to do with the heat build up?

Old 04-25-2009, 09:09 PM

IDK..... I rode again and the same thing happens. It seems fine in every other way. I wouldnt have noticed it had it not been for the loud heat ticking.....
I'd appreciate it if you would let me know.......

Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 AM

I do usually use both brakes but its like 80% front and 20% back as I come to a stop, I let off the front brake and just use the back on the final few feet, it seems more controlable that way......just always did that....... My point is that I would have thought the front would build more heat than the rear............ Looking at the design now, I'm not sure, The way the front disc's are mounted, they cant transfer much heat, the back is more solidly mounted and could I suppose...... and combined with chain heat....... who knows....... anyway, I guess the only way to know is if someone else checks theirs out........

Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

prolly just heat transfer from the rotor, the sprocket/chain has the cush drive to isolate it from the wheel. The front would be cooler because 1.) design of rotors and 2.) they're out front getting more air. And they are more efficient than the rear.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did the pads & fluid change on the rear & naturally got obsessive & checked that everything was alright. I noticed the heat then to & of course got totally worried about it. Could not remember if it got hot before, so double checked everything, my riding buddy said it looked quite weird every time we stopped, I would be there feeling the wheel & the disc, "Do you two want to be left alone?" was one comment. The front of bike gets warm to, but because the front wheels takes the air directly, it cools down just as fast. The rear also a Cush drive (rubber insert) to dampen movement & noise.
In my opinion, heat from the rear is normal, touching up your bike at every stop isn't (in fact in some countries, it's illegal (but you can get under the counter DVD's) & in some countries it also involves sheep).

Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 PM

LOL, Thanks.......... I was thinking of making my own video....

Quick Reply: Heat on the rear wheel