General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

having nightmares about 1st valve job...advice please

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default having nightmares about 1st valve job...advice please

so i have one valve out of spec and its annoying the hell outtta me to have to do the valve job just for one stinking valve, and also since ive never done it before. its just that i get excited and worried when i take on this task because im scared of how to keep from loosing timing and sprockets coming off the chain and not being able to line them back up ect..

when i think the process through, common sense says its not that complicated. however, are ther any tricks to keep from loosing timing when i take cam sprockets off to lift the cams? im thinking zip tie the cam chain to the sprockets some how so it doesnt move or use white out to mark its place. i dont know im out of ideas and its driving me crazy. because i like to plan out the process and have tools laid out for the job, follow the manual and get it done in a reasonable amount of time. how do some of you do this?
thanks

ps~ after some thought, if timing gets off, (with the cam chain off) do i just put the cams in the correct place with the intake and exhaust pointed out word horizontally lined up like in the manual? along with the timing cover off and the "T" lined up with the indention at the timing hole? is that how to reset timing? is it that simply?

sorry for dumb questions, just trying to visualize it. i like peoples input.

Last edited by cBrentb; 03-22-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mark your timing marks with white-out. Take pictures, lots of pictures. Video is sometimes better. Talk to yourself, explain how things are as you dismantle them. Just be prepared to spend a day on it. DON'T RUSH. If you get frustrated, take a walk. It's not a really hard process but it needs to be done correctly.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb
ps~ after some thought, if timing gets off, (with the cam chain off) do i just put the cams in the correct place with the intake and exhaust pointed out word horizontally lined up like in the manual? along with the timing cover off and the "T" lined up with the indention at the timing hole? is that how to reset timing? is it that simply?

sorry for dumb questions, just trying to visualize it. i like peoples input.
Yes it is just that simple. Just a few key things. Make sure the crankshaft is in the proper position. Don't mix up the Intake sprocket with the Exhaust sprocket. If you look at the path chain takes around the crankshaft and camshafts, one side of the chain path is tight, the other has slack, that's the side where the CCT is located. When you're putting the chain on, try to keep the chain taut on the side where it's supposed to be tight. With the chain on the crankshaft sprocket and then wrapped around the cam sprocket with the line on the sprocket aligned with the head, it will be correct. It's that simple.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 PM

in the manual it says coat the camshaft lobes and journals with molybdenum oil solution. what specific kind do you all use because there are a handful of options when i look it up. i dont know wich kind to choose. can i use any moly assembly lube?

thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

It really doesn't matter. The idea is that they want some type of lubricant (molybdenum being best) on the cam lobes so you're not doing a dry start on them when you first start the engine.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use most any moly for your lobes and journals. The molybdenum in the grease embeds in the rough surfaces of metals, making the 2 surfaces slip better.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 AM

ok, thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM

great news! i started on the valve adjustment today, i rechecked the valve clearance and now all the valves are in spec. on the initial clearance check i triple checked it so, i know it wasnt me that messed up. anybody ever had this happen?

only thing about this motor is, i bought it from my salvage dealer and it has 30k on it. the guy in the shop told me it had been sitting inside the warehouse since he started there six months ago. so i know it was sitting for six months at least if not longer. i checked the valve clearance soon as i got it home before running it and now checked them again after running it for five or six hundred miles.

ran two tanks with seafoam in it too. maybe it just needed to have the cobwebs knocked out of it...let me know if ya'll ever herd of this before

thanks