General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is this guy for real?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pipedope
hello everybody. first off i should let you know that i do not own a cbr, but i'm fairly certain it will be my next motorcycle purchase.

i need to tell a little story to explain the purpose of my generally stupid question.

so, my buddy just got a brand new harley sportster 1200. we were recently hanging out, drinking beer and talking about bikes. he started talking about how much better and faster his bike was running as he approched the 1000 mile mark. i told him that if he was looking for speed he should have got a sport bike. he came back with something about how he didin't want to go 200 and the torque of his harley was blah blah blah. somehow, the conversation (on his end) got really technical. he was spewing out info on torque curves and dyno sheets and a bunch of other stuff that was way over my head. it got even worse when i told him that my 28 year old CB750 would give his bike a run for his money in a 1/4 mile.

anyway, two days later i told this story to some random guy i saw who was riding a cbr1000. not sure which model but it looked pretty new and it was red. he told me his bike when stock would do 105mph in first gear when it redlined. wow man, that's crazy!

so, is this guy full of it or what?
105mph in the first gear? skyline 900whp can't even get that and am sure that motor wont last..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pipedope
it got even worse when i told him that my 28 year old CB750 would give his bike a run for his money in a 1/4 mile.
I've always wanted to try that.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the 2007 Kawa 1000 did 100 MPH in first at redline, but I don't know about a Honda..........

Old 06-24-2009, 04:29 PM

A stock 1k F4i can absolutley do 105 in 1st. This blows most people's minds, because they think that must mean you can hit 210 in 2nd. It doesn't.

Honda makes 1st gear reeeeeeallllllly wide, and for two reasons:

1) You can scream off the line forever without having to risk switching gears in certain situations

2) It allows the subsequent gears to all be much closer together, so you can still have a decent amount of hp if you accidentally upshift into too high a gear while racing.

Saying "I can hit 105 in first" does not mean you have the fastest bike on the planet. It sounds ****ing amazing if you're saying it to, say, someone with a manual transmission car. Findsomeone who says their bike can do 210 in 2nd, and THEN we can start calling people liars.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-24-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Measuredpath
or weather conditions.. It is very much like all the guys I see using a dyno sheet as a bragging rights forum. Unless, the conditions, dyno and operator are the same. You won't have a consistent dyno. Hence the reason why I see guys from coast to coast with dyno sheets close but not close enough with like mods and sometimes way off based off of the dyno itself.

Track conditions also play a part even though you can get consistent runs with various tracks. Confused yet?

+1,000. Wind tunnels only work for scientists. Buy the fastest PC on the planet, put Windows on it, and let a 5 year old use it for two years, tell me how fast that computers gonna be then.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
A stock 1k f4i? You meant stock 1k cbr right? As in a 1000RR. My 01 f4i won't hit 105 in first, but maybe it's cause I don't have the rare 1K version, just the normal one.

+1 LOL I had my head tilted and eyes crossed asking what is a 1k F4i? Thanks for pointing out that I am not completely crazy! LOL.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
A stock 1k f4i? You meant stock 1k cbr right? As in a 1000RR. My 01 f4i won't hit 105 in first, but maybe it's cause I don't have the rare 1K version, just the normal one.
You're totally correct, I'm a dork. I hereby pay penance to the Proofreading Gods.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
His Cane will prolly pull about 210MPH in neutral !!
Holy ****!! If he actually BOTHERS with 1st, does it just send him forward in time??! I bet there's a GPS mod out there for that which can just teleport him to his destination.

Quick Reply: is this guy for real?