General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got some vortex sliders now what? (instale Q)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got some vortex sliders now what? (instale Q)

i just got my vortex sliders in the mail this morning and i am wonder what the best method is for installing them is, i have heard put a nail in the engine mount bolt, then put the fairing back onand push on it to make a visible mark on the fairing, and use that for the center of the hole you drill. how do i make it stay there while i work on the fairing? Glue?

i have also hear of useing a laser level, mounting it on something stationary and aiming it at the bolt, then installe the fairing and mark where the laser is.

problem i have, i dont have a center stand or a tripod laser level. I am sure I could getto rig a laser pointer and mabey even a make shift stand, but i would rather not, so i am leaning towards the nail method.

another, thing, my 3/4inch (19mm) socket does not what to fit inside of the puck, do i need a thiner walled socket or something? or are metrics alittle thinner? (i dont have my metric set with me right now)

Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got some vortex sliders now what? (instale Q)

well not all sockets are created equal- you will find some have different thicknesses. i installed my sliders, had no problem. i was using snap-on sockets and they are made thinwall so they can get into tighter places.but it was a closefit. maybe try a different brand socket. as for aligning the holes, the old putty trick worked for me. install a little shorter bolt in the slider hole, put a ball of putty, playdough, whatever and flatten it out a little in the general location the hole will be. mount a side and press the fairing to the bolt head and an impression will be left when you go and take it back off- start with a countersink in the middle of the impression, then grab your 2in. hole saw. cut from the outside in, at a moderate speedand do not rush it- just make sure ya press straight in. and bam, bam, bam, your ready to do some safe slidin! there is many different versions on how to do this, a search will bring them up-