General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good chain lube?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good chain lube?

i know royal purple is great.. but the chain that came on the bike had a bit of rust on it and needs to be replaced... but since im slap broke and just learning i figured itd do for a month....but in the meantime ....anything i can pick up at advanced to get me by until then? i saw liquid wrench had chain oil ....claims it works for *everything*. any other suggestions for a lube thats good enough for a month?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you mean a bit of rust are you just talking a bit of surface rust?. Is the chain knackered or just in need of some TLC? Have a good look at, check to see where it lines up on the wear limit, check the 'O' rings, links & see if all is ok. I clean my chain regularly with Kerosene (lube lets all sorts of crud cling to it), wipe it down & let it dry. I like Chain Wax, but even the local auto store sells a decent chain lube these days (here anyway).
There is actually high melting point grease on the chain, held in place by the 'O' rings.
Chain lube is used to aid in metal & metal contact on the sprocket & prevent the rust.
Bottom line is, go with the best you can afford , but if you're chain is stuffed, get it replaced as soon as you can afford to.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 AM

yeah its just surface rust from it sitting... i might have put 3 miles on the bike since i got it yesterday lol.. im in sc so once its past 12 pm... its 100 degrees and no fun on a bike. i plan on replacing it asap just cause....really general principle... bike looks like it lived outside .... so thats where the rust came from...by far nothing Too terribly bad but when i can afford it (after a decent helmet) itll be chain then tune up.... this is my first bike... i friggin LOVE this thing! i cant believe i waited so long to get one ... at least it was worth the wait and put me on a nicer bike now than what 2000 bucks woulda bought me in 1998... that and im hoping my age will kepe me on a safer side than it would have when i was 18.. (30 now)

Old 08-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't put too much thought into different chain lubes. I've tried several, and of the conventional ones I probably like wax the best...... but it still just seems to make a dirt paste. I clean the dirt and gunk off with WD40, then I spray on a bit more and let it dry. It repels water and provides a light lube.
Sometimes I hit it with some motorkote spray lube that someone sent me (thanks again, doug. )

Old 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any decent quality chain lube will be ok. Right now, I'm using Pro Honda HP Chain Lube & like the results. However, PJ1, Belray, Motorex, & others are good. I also clean w/ WD40.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:21 AM

chain is effed regardles....living own this dirt/sand road is going to cause any chain to be effed :/ i just hit it with some liquid wrench chain oil every day and go about my business now... liquid wrench makes a damn good penetrating oil so... figured the chain oil might be good.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

I recently read about some people using chain saw lube with good results. They say you should wipe off the excess after applying but that it does a good job and for a lot lower cost than the official motorcycle chain lubes.

I don't use WD-40 on my chain. I've heard too many bad things about it and what it can do to an O-ring chain. Also, WD-40 is a penetrant and thus it could get past the O-rings and breakdown the grease inside.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM

maxim chain wax, my chains always stay quiet and the stuff doesnt fling off...

Old 08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Administrator - Retired

maxim chain wax, my chains always stay quiet and the stuff doesnt fling off...
That's exactly the stuff I have. Gold and black can. You're right, it doesn't fling off.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sean, was thinking about your sandy/dirty driveway situation. I recommend getting the *GRUNGE BRUSH*. All you have to do is swipe this thing across your chain a couple of times to get out/off the excess sand/dirt the builds up. Then, lube as necessary. The thing pays for itself in just a few uses & will extend the life of your chain.

They're available in some sporting good stores like Sports Authority, & in some motorcycle shops. If its not stocked in your local stores, you can get one from kneedraggers.com, newenough.com, bikebandit.com, etc.

Name:  GrungeBrush.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  41.3 KB

Quick Reply: good chain lube?