General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good all around tire?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A good all around tire?

I'm a noob to the motorcycle world and I just got me a 1999 CBR 600 F4 that is in desparate need for some maintenance, especially a new rear tire! It currently has a pretty good Dunlop Sportmax D208F tire up front, and not that I have to match the rear tire to it but I thought I'd throw that in there. I was looking through some forums and a lot of guys give praise to the Michelin Pilot Power tires and the Metzeler M3 tires. I am a noobie rider and I don't plan on racing or running it too hard around corners anytime soon, so what I am looking for is a tire that will last a while, have decent performance, and also will handle decent in wet weather, since I will be riding this bike to and from work/school a lot and may get caught in some rain now and then. I was looking at this web site that has good prices on tires, and I found a nice Bridgestone BT-014 tire for a good price, but also the Michelin PPs don't cost too much more either. I just wondering if the PPs might be too much for me and not good enough in the wet since they seem like more of a race tire. I guess the Dunlop Qualifiers are the match to my front tire, but I may just buy the pair of tires while I'm at it anyway. Give me your opinions on my situation please! Thanks!

Here are links to what I was looking at:

Bridgestone BT-014

Michelin PPs

Dunlop Qualifiers

Old 08-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Default RE: A good all around tire?

I just replaced the front on my 93 f2 with a pilot power, no complaints at all, as soon as I need a rear i'll be putting the same pilot power on it also

Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 AM

i just put a Quailfier on the rear of my bike. i love the tire and it performs awsome
i do ride hard during the summer. i was thinking about putting a PP on my bike for my next tire because when school starts again i will be doing alot of commuting and the wet protection is very important. for a good all around tire if you want to spend the money i would say a set of Avons i had a set on my F4i and got around 4200 miles out of the rear i put a new one on and sold the bike the kid has put another 1000 on the front and its still got some ride in it. they are more expensive but people are very suprised to hear 4200 miles out of such a well performing tire

Old 08-04-2006, 01:56 AM

Brand new to this style of riding myself, however, for my next set, I am looking at Michinlen Power Sports, ( I am sure I killed that spelling, but you get the idea!)

Old 08-04-2006, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: My02CBRF4i

i just put a Quailfier on the rear of my bike. i love the tire and it performs awsome
i do ride hard during the summer. i was thinking about putting a PP on my bike for my next tire because when school starts again i will be doing alot of commuting and the wet protection is very important. for a good all around tire if you want to spend the money i would say a set of Avons i had a set on my F4i and got around 4200 miles out of the rear i put a new one on and sold the bike the kid has put another 1000 on the front and its still got some ride in it. they are more expensive but people are very suprised to hear 4200 miles out of such a well performing tire
So you think the "Avon Azaro-SP Sport AV49 & 50" is the way to go? Anyone else have experience with these tires? Actually, they are the same price on that web site I was looking at as the PP's. Thanks for the reply!

Avon Tire

Old 08-04-2006, 09:14 AM

Hey bro... I put a set of Pirelli Diablo Stradas on last year and I have recommended them to a lot of riders in your situation: Riders that don't ride too hard and want a longer lasting tire. They're made of a little bit harder compound... won't stick as well as Qualifiers or Pilots, but they've never let me down and the wear has been awesome so far. Also, this past Memorial Day I got stuck in a pretty nasty storm coming out of the U.P. along I-75... didn't have a problem passing cars at 80 mph. Might not have been the smartest thing to do, but hey the bike and tires made it!!!

Do some research on those tires man, you won't be disappointed. Then check ronayers.com for pricing... they're pretty decent.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Anomir

Brand new to this style of riding myself, however, for my next set, I am looking at Michinlen Power Sports, ( I am sure I killed that spelling, but you get the idea!)
To be honest with, the sport is a fun tire, it lasted a while on my bike, but it's worth spending the extra money on a PP if you do any type of aggressive riding. The tire sticks much better. Also, the PP replaced the Sport, so you can only pick up let-over tires. I'm not sure when exactly, but I don't believe they have made them in the last year. Still, I cannot complain with the PP, it's done everything I can ask, and more.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he said he doesn't do aggressive...and if he did...diablo stradas will work too...
my money's on the stradas...

bt014 won't last so long...neither will any of those others, compared to a strada.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strada's are a great tire... powers work well in the rain and are great high perf tire... I have avon sp 49 frnt / 46 st rear, great setup. I used the sp49 to sharpen the handling a bit on my 941000f , I didn't end up 2up much, I should have went sp rear, also. I have 4k+ on 'em and lots of tread to go !!!!!!!!!!! and I ride fast(4 me)

Don't hesitate to call the avon, Or any tire co. tech people ... very helpful in tech explanations, MAW gets my tire biz, for price and service. Clean and free Ripp'n

Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM

[8D] dude i work at a motorcycle shop (yea i know im a lucky basterd) I ride with PP on my 05 cbr600rr and love them I ride verry hard and on track days the stil are very sticky.they take notime to warm up and handel great.I sell more PP than anyother tire,so go with the PP you want be sorry. YOU WILL LOVE THEM

Quick Reply: A good all around tire?