General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear shifting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear shifting

I just bought my bike but I don't know how to ride it yet. Do I shift up with my foot or down to get it out of neutral? And after I've achieved that, is it just up with my foot to upshift and down to downshift? I know this is a stupid question but please help. Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Default RE: Gear shifting

STOP.

attend your local MSF BRC first, then attempt riding. if you're in neutral, you must be stopped, and personally i start out in first, so i tap down. after that it's a solid lift per gear. you can still hit neutral if you soft tap/lift between 1st and 2nd.

but seriously, attend your Basic Riders Course before you even mount it and start it. you're gonna maim yourself, or worse, kill someone else.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: knightslugger

STOP.

attend your local MSF BRC first, then attempt riding. if you're in neutral, you must be stopped, and personally i start out in first, so i tap down. after that it's a solid lift per gear. you can still hit neutral if you soft tap/lift between 1st and 2nd.

but seriously, attend your Basic Riders Course before you even mount it and start it. you're gonna maim yourself, or worse, kill someone else.
Double Ditto on that, get your basics.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM

WTF u bought the freakin bike and u dont even know how to put it in gear R U CRAZY.....?? plz do ur self a big favor b4 u do all of us that favor and go learn at the MSF.......dont tell me too that u bought a 1k rr or 600 rr as ur first......wow .. dude put some gear on cuz u will be flamed here ...

Old 05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Users

i got my bike without a clue what do with it....whatever you do dont think for even 2 seconds that you know what your doing because after a few months you'll think you do but you dont....1 down 5 up stupid hurts and your gunna wreck everyone does i've been alright thus far by those rules

Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM

Yeah, this is a fake account. Not even a real funny post even.
I give it a solid BOO!!! and two thumbs down.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Soon to be another member lost if this guy is serious. If you are for real then deffinitely take a safety course before you touch the street with that bike. Road rash is bad enough ( trust me ) and that will be the least of your problems if you start ripping on that thing with no knowledge of how to ride at all.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Jester,

If you're serious, please PLEASE, PLEASE take an MSF course. I've had experience riding dirt bikes for several years in the past and know how to operate a motorcycle and am STILL taking one in July since I just got my first street bike (91 CBR 1000F). Even with my limited experience, I'm STILL scared of this thing and it's not running well yet. I couldn't imagine not knowing how to shift one of these and trying to ride it on the street.

Take the course, learn the bike inside and out. I've had bad spills on a lightold dirtbike at 20-30mph, getting on one of these heavy monsters will KILL you if you don't know what you're doing.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Wow, do you know how to start it? To shift from neutral simply push the gear shift on the left down, that gets you into first. From there its up, up, up, up, up. Be safe man, i bought my first bike 2 weeks ago and have never ridden before either. I am yet to take the course as well, but i have just been riding slowly on the local neighborhood street. Ive done this a few times so far, it takes a while to get used to, so be very careful!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: jester61

I just bought my bike but I don't know how to ride it yet. Do I shift up with my foot or down to get it out of neutral? And after I've achieved that, is it just up with my foot to upshift and down to downshift? I know this is a stupid question but please help. Thanks a bunch.
[sm=jawdrop.gif] [sm=icon_rtfm.gif], read all your local motorcycle "rules of the road" book, AND take a rider safety course BEFORE asking ANY more questions. Unless the questions are just for basic knowledge BEFORE you actually buy the bike. Come on man....this is a pretty bad situation to be in. I guess somebody has to start somewhere. Just be careful with whatever you do. Hopefully this post isn't BS.

Quick Reply: Gear shifting